Brug cuttings flowering now!

RozDevon

Brug cuttings flowering now!

Post by RozDevon »

I took some cuttings of my brugs in the summer, they have grown to about 4' now.
Gave one to a friend and all of them are throwing out flower buds like crazy!
Don't they know its winter?
The flowers are just showing out of the bud so have them in a sheltered west facing corner beside the back door, and hope they'll make it before a frost. Its unlikely to have a frost here this early to be honest. Temps have gone down a bit at night but today its very mild and wet. Glorious sunny warm day yesterday, no coat needed.
What an amazing plant this is!! Well worth the feeding efforts given for the return of the fantastic flowers.
We go away to Goa on 22.11.13. so will have put them all to bed in the garage before we go.
I shall be planning the 2014 garden with lists and diagrams while I'm on my sunbed on the beach!! Sorry folks!!!!
I've been very inspired by all the gardens on here, especially Deedee, Mr List, Springy, Kristen and many others too.
My garden is quite small so have to be very selective with plants.
I think I need to feed everything more to get that quick growth you seem to have. Lessons have been learned! Such fun!!
I'll take some photos of the amazing flowers out there and put them on here when we get back, just to make your mouth water! Temps there never go below 23c approx at any time, night or day, year round. What a climate for plants!!
We must be mad to try and grow them here!! The 8' high red and yellow hibiscus are fabulous! Growing in sandy dry very red soil.
I'm going to "tropicalise" a bed under the house wall at the front southfacing garden next season, so am trying to decide what will withstand the SW gales off the sea, and look tropical. More planning/list/diagrams!!
I've transplanted an 18" trunk Trachycarpus out there this week, it was sulking in the back bed so maybe will like it better there.
Happy days!
Panama Pete

Re: Brug cuttings flowering now!

Post by Panama Pete »

Ive got some cuttings in water and the small nodes are swelling up on the stems like they want to root from the side.ill get a pic
RozDevon

Re: Brug cuttings flowering now!

Post by RozDevon »

Hi Pete, my cuttings rooted in water and made lots of roots, then potted them up in mp compost and they went away easily. Hope yours do as well and over winter OK.