Is shredded bamboo OK as a mulch.

DAVIDEVANS

Is shredded bamboo OK as a mulch.

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

I'm just about to cut down a small stand of bamboo and planning to put it through the shredder to use either as a mulch or on the compost heap. Any reason why not?
multim

Re: Is shredded bamboo OK as a mulch.

Post by multim »

Should be fine. I've been using shreddings as a mulch for years, bamboo included - no worries.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Fine to use shredded bamboo in principle, but it'll be very harsh on the shredding machinery (blades blunted quickly, and may clog it up), and also unpleasant to walk on (particularly if barefoot in summer!) due to sharp splinters.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

How long does it take to degrade.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

fern Rob wrote:How long does it take to degrade.
Very slow, compared to most garden prunings. But it does eventually make good quality compost.
DAVIDEVANS

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

I started this thread because I had at the back of my mind something about silica, which has now been addressed on a similar thread and because I can't get anything to grow close to bamboo. I was wondering if that was due to the silica, seems not likely according to the other thread. I am now wondering if it just that the bamboo is hugely competitive for water.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

DAVIDEVANS wrote: I am now wondering if it just that the bamboo is hugely competitive for water.
Yep, and also for soil nutrients.