bamboo leaves too high in silica?

Tom2006

bamboo leaves too high in silica?

Post by Tom2006 »

I remember hearing somewhere that bamboo leaves arehigh in silica and great for mulching bamboo. However would this cause issues for other plants? I ask because my P NIgra are getting quite large now and produce lots of old leaves.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Re: bamboo leaves too high in silica?

Post by fern Rob »

What do you normally do with the old leaves? I normally just let them fall on the soil icon_thumleft
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

silica has been added to soil over here in aroid beds..seems to make them stand up to wind a bit better and become a bit more stiff.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Well since the major component of soils, especially sandy soils, is silica I doubt the silica in bamboo leaves would be too much of a problem and the benefits of increasing organic matter content in the soil would far outweigh any negatives.
rufc15lizzie

Post by rufc15lizzie »

I was just going to say that troppoz.
Yes i doubt the silica content is no where near natural levels in the soil anyway.
Silica is so abundent.

Post by Tom2006 »

Good stuff thank you icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I have been growing a lot of bamboo in my back garden for 10 years now and there are plenty of leaves on the soil surface now.

I haven't noticed any problems and grow a variety of plants around the base of them big clumps.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

It's biologically surprising that no life is silica based rather than carbon based as chemically they are very similar.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:It's biologically surprising that no life is silica based rather than carbon based as chemically they are very similar.
Not really surprising - two main reasons, first SiO2 is very inert and refractory (melting point over 1600°C) compared to CO2, and second, silicon doesn't form complex compounds with nitrogen, so no protein equivalents.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

is there a silica version of a diamond?
rufc15lizzie

Post by rufc15lizzie »

What do you mean?

there are silica based gem stones like quartz similar to those of amber and amazonite etc that you pick up.

silica is very similar to diamond in that it is hard and has a very high melting point. They also share the giant covalent bond structures.. But im not aware of a high value gemstone you could prize in jewellery made of silicon.
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Conifers wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:It's biologically surprising that no life is silica based rather than carbon based as chemically they are very similar.
Not really surprising - two main reasons, first SiO2 is very inert and refractory (melting point over 1600°C) compared to CO2, and second, silicon doesn't form complex compounds with nitrogen, so no protein equivalents.

Just found this which is interesting further reading
http://www.thelivingcosmos.com/TheNatur ... May06.html