Green Ensete ventricosum

DAVIDEVANS

Green Ensete ventricosum

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

I've never had much success with growing these from seed. Getting them to germinate has been tricky enough but getting them through the winter even more difficult. I managed to get about 20 seedlings this year but am already down to 10 and they aren't looking too bright. Have brought them indoors with the idea of keeping them ticking over and last night decided to put them on a heated propagator, too expensive to keep that going all winter though.

Perhaps these things are just not viable, perhaps I should give Sikkimensis a go instead?
derrick

Re: Green Ensete ventricosum

Post by derrick »

Not tried one of these from seed .I have had one Ensete green for about 3 years mine I keep in a south facing window winter time and give no water .I find it can come back from nothing I cant kill the thing . It needs more heat than Maurelii not happy in loft or unheated conservatory. But happy in south facing window .I have the short stumpy Ensete green .I am looking for the taller Ensete green .
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I also have quite a few small and seedling Ensete ventricosum. They are a bit more of a problem than Maurelii as they cannot take as cool conditions, as Derrick said.

I have cut all the leaves off mine as they are dry and had wilted like mad, but I don't want them to go completely dormant as I don't think there is enough rhizome to get them through the winter. They are in 50/50 MP/perlite mix which dries fairly quickly. I'll stand in 5mm of water for a few mins to just moisten the lower part of the tray cells. Indoors isn't an option for me , as wife won't have them in. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Not had much problem getting them through the winters in a heated conservatory. Just 2 years from seed and they are big plants though and 1 plant is enough for me to overwinter, 20 would be impossible! I followed Dave's advice for the third winter, cut all the leaves and roots off and dried it thoroughly and started it into growth the following spring. This worked a treat so it stands in a pot with no compost in a corner of the conservatory and remains dormant until I start it off again in spring.