Schefflera macrophylla

Blairs

Schefflera macrophylla

Post by Blairs »

Anyone growing this?

I have a large pot (120 Litres) and a blank space (sheltered from wind but full sun in summer and partial sun in winter). I like the shape and leaf size of S.macrophylla. There are a few threads on the net (mainly UK) but mostly around 2009 and 2010 on this plant but little recently - is it not as hardy as first thought/now less popular?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Schefflera macrophylla

Post by Dave Brown »

Will Giles enthused about this and had one in front of his house at 'The Exotic Garden' We spoke at length about it when I visited in August 2009, but when revisited in August 2012 it had gone. As far as I recall it survived the winter but completely keeled over the following spring.

Several others had a similar experience, so I think you are correct, it was not as hardy as hoped and very few people now have them :roll: Up to 2009 was fine.

Here at Will's
Chatting to Will Giles
Chatting to Will Giles
Shefflera macrophylla at Will Giles'
Shefflera macrophylla at Will Giles'
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Blairs »

Thanks Dave - that is a shame as I thought it would be a good focal point.
Springy

Post by Springy »

There is one listed on eBay tonight!

I have one growing here. I plant it out in spring but lift it and pot it up. I am keeping it close to the house for winter unless the weather gets really bad and then it will go in the outhouse.
Attachments
image.jpg
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I am sure that there is a member on here who has grown a real monster one.

I think he is from the Isle of Wight?
Springy

Post by Springy »

Adam D wrote:I am sure that there is a member on here who has grown a real monster one.

No Adam, he is a chap from up your way! :D
Attachments
image.jpg
Springy

Post by Springy »

This is the chap on the Isle of Wight I believe that you are talking about.
Attachments
image.jpg
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Springy wrote:There is one listed on eBay tonight!
That is odd. It is not me...I do recognise the seller though as he sells other Schefflera and tropicals at top end prices. I would rather buy from Crug though if it was hardy.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Springy wrote:
Adam D wrote:I am sure that there is a member on here who has grown a real monster one.

No Adam, he is a chap from up your way! :D
He only lives about 5 miles away from me.

I have bough from him before and I asked to pick the plant up and save on p&P, but he would not let me come around, which was a shame as I would have liked to see what else he had for sale.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Adam D wrote: He only lives about 5 miles away from me.

I have bough from him before and I asked to pick the plant up and save on p&P, but he would not let me come around, which was a shame as I would have liked to see what else he had for sale.
I just PM'd him asking if he did local collections...sounds like a no is coming my way. He clearly has a wide collection going by past sales.
Chad

Post by Chad »

Even in Cornwall we lost most of them through the run of three ‘bad’ winters followed by very cool summers. I distributed a few [my plant made offsets] but most of them have died wherever they went. My main plant has now died as well. I have a small one planted out into the soil of a poly tunnel and am hoping it will be safe in there.

There are impressive plants at Trewidden [which survived ‘those’ winters] and Trewithen [which was protected through them].

Chad.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Chad wrote:Even in Cornwall we lost most of them through the run of three ‘bad’ winters followed by very cool summers. I distributed a few [my plant made offsets] but most of them have died wherever they went. My main plant has now died as well. I have a small one planted out into the soil of a poly tunnel and am hoping it will be safe in there.

There are impressive plants at Trewidden [which survived ‘those’ winters] and Trewithen [which was protected through them].

Chad.
That's worse than I thought then :ahhh!:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Blairs »

Thank you everyone for your replies. Shame Schefflera macrophylla is not that hardy as it is a plant lust plant.
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

It's strange to believe but that July summer heat did more damage to my Scheffleras than the cold. But yes Schefflera Macrophylla isn't that hardy cold wise. When I eventually dug my plant up the roots had rotted despite having a roof over it.
IMG_1208.JPG
Schefflera Chapana... survived December 2010 only to succumb to that hot July this year.
IMG_1209.JPG
Schefflera Taiwaniana.... this beautiful type... much nicer than the Crug varieties...dead
IMG_1207.JPG
Pics were taken 14-7-13... the Macrophylla survived BTW.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

my Taiwaniana was doing great..I looked at it today and a bunch of solid black leaves IDK whats wrong with it. not all of them but some were solid black..its been in the house for a few months now getting filtered light and never gets cold