will brugs branch below the Y if the Y is cut off?

otorongo

will brugs branch below the Y if the Y is cut off?

Post by otorongo »

My in-ground brug has its Y point at around 4ft above the ground level. I was thinking of wrapping, say, the lowest 2ft of the trunk to keep it alive over winter.

But the question is: if the trunk above the wrapping gets mushed by freezes and the wrapped part survives, will my brug sprout from the Y-less trunk come spring, or will it only sprout from the roots? Because i it's not going to sprout from the trunk there is no point in keeping it alive unless I wrap it all the way up to the Y.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: will brugs branch below the Y if the Y is cut off?

Post by Dave Brown »

Above the 'Y' is flowering wood, and below is vegetative wood. If you cut the 'Y' off, any side shoots will grow as normal vegetative growth, eventually forming a 'Y' and flowering. If you limit to only one sideshoot at the top of the trunk you can gain height before flowering. I remove all sideshoots except one on vegetative wood, but allow all sideshoots on flowering wood as that is where most of the buds form. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Kristen »

You could take cuttings "above the Y". Brugs will root from long cuttings - 2' or 3' should be fine - which will gain you some height for the plant next season, and cuttings from above the Y are from "flowering wood" so won't need to grow to a Y before flowering (but they will, next season, take a little while to get to the point of flowering - I don't know if that is stored energy, day length, night temperature or what - but it takes a while, although not as long as a plant that has to grow and form a Y in the first place.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Thanks, I had a closer look at my plant while wrapping it and noticed tiny side-shoots, which answered my question :)

I guess the benefit of cuttings from vegetative wood is that they reach a certain height before they start branching out. My other brug must have been from a flowering wood cutting because it's very low in height and grows sideways rather than upwards, next year maybe I'll remove the side braches and train it to gain some height.