What is the consensus on overwintering Brugmansia?

Blairs

What is the consensus on overwintering Brugmansia?

Post by Blairs »

I have 3 brugs that I brought inside in September as they where being eaten alive by caterpillars. I kind of forgot about them and they are still growing, though pressing up at the window to get light - I also need to water them every few days.

Question is is it better to overwinter them in a cold place after pruning or will I leave them at the sunnyish window so they get a kick start in spring?

Any advice is appreciated. :?:
derrick

Re: What is the consensus on overwintering Brugmansia?

Post by derrick »

I keep mine cooler in a unheated conservatory. And give them very little water only if stem feels a little soft. Small plants that don't have woody stems need some water .I think it should be ok in a window ticking over if a small plant .You could trim to keep in control .Next year yours will be to big for windows or conservatory without a trim .
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

I keep mine in the greenhouse which is kept frost free (ish). They get the occasional splash of water to prevent dessication. I've kept small ones / first year cuttings in props kept above 5 deg, watered a little more but not enough to keep them growing.

Much the same as Derick really. I have no problems with getting them to start growing in the spring.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

I overwinter them outside, against the consensus :lol:
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

last few days has taught me that Brugmansia sanguinea even, is not hardy enough here if I want a shrub form. Therefore, in the areas like here, along much of Northern England and Scotland , it's greenhouse if we want to have them survive and flower into the next year!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

stephenprudence wrote:last few days has taught me that Brugmansia sanguinea even, is not hardy enough here if I want a shrub form. Therefore, in the areas like here, along much of Northern England and Scotland , it's greenhouse if we want to have them survive and flower into the next year!
There is nowhere in the UK except perhaps Tresco, where these could survive outside unprotected. In most areas, including much of the south, a greenhouse or shed would need heating to keep frost free.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by stephenprudence »

I would have thought further south would have a chance, frost hollows not withstanding of course, where for a few years they may make it through a few winter, but I agree, not a long term prospect.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

There is always some damage, it's a matter of weighing out the damage against the hassle of digging up / potting up / moving and storage. Also the benefit of keeping them in the ground is that the root system grows bigger every year, which gives it more vigour and reduces the need for watering and feeding in the summer.

I don't have a conservatory or a heated GH, or even enough indoor space, so they will have to take their chances. Last year my largest brug (while still in a pot) was moved to a sheltered corner and took the winter quite well, with 5-10% of the stem (the softest shoots) mushed, and of course complete defoliation.

It's now been in the ground since last spring and the ~-1C that we got earlier this week fried the topmost leaves, but the lower leaves and all the stems are in pristine condition. I expect complete defoliation at -2, and soft stem damage around -3. The lower stem is thicker and I've dumped a load of leaves around its base today. So depending on how bad the winter gets, in the spring I'll have a start from anything from a partly defoliated 8ft tree to a completely defoliated 2ft trunk, and a good root system in any case.

My other brug, smaller and closer to the house, is still covered in flowers and dozens of flower buds.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Dave Brown wrote: There is nowhere in the UK except perhaps Tresco, where these could survive outside unprotected. In most areas, including much of the south, a greenhouse or shed would need heating to keep frost free.
B. arborea, sanguinea & the hybrid 'Mobisu' winter outside here with little if any winter damage. These flower well without any set-back. Several of the 'warm' group survive as 'herbaceous' shrubs, growing back from the roots in late spring, but these don't flower until very late in the summer/early autumn when it is cooler at night, which tends to 'drain' the colours.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

DaveP wrote:
Dave Brown wrote: There is nowhere in the UK except perhaps Tresco, where these could survive outside unprotected. In most areas, including much of the south, a greenhouse or shed would need heating to keep frost free.
B. arborea, sanguinea & the hybrid 'Mobisu' winter outside here with little if any winter damage. These flower well without any set-back. Several of the 'warm' group survive as 'herbaceous' shrubs, growing back from the roots in late spring, but these don't flower until very late in the summer/early autumn when it is cooler at night, which tends to 'drain' the colours.
So we need a cold tolerant hybrid 'Mobisu' to trial then Stephen.

I have a couple left as herbaceous, but none have ever grown to flowering size from ground level. I think your spring in the west is a good 4 to 8 weeks earlier than here near the east coast, as we get cold Haar winds until mid June.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

When I grew these in 07 08 and 09 they over wintered in my garage just losing the soft growth.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

I dug mine out last week , potted them up and they're now in the greenhouse. If it gets toooo cold, they'll go in the garage as its got two internal walls attached to the house to stop any freezing.
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

RIP every Brug planted or even tried to overwinter in greenhouse in NW Higlands....sorreeee. Given up now.....summers not sunny or warm enough and winters to hostile.........may do better in Bournemouth (if protected in winter) :wink:
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

hack it up and stick it in the cellar icon_thumright

I am quite attached to my brug now as it survives year on year but in all honesty they are common and fast growing enough it wouldn't ever be a great tragedy to lose one over winter, not really.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Mine go inside the colder end of the frost-free greenhouse as they are at the beginning of the first air frosts. A little water to each once a month. The cool-loving sanguinea goes out first followed by the rest from April on. One of the easiest exotics to overwinter