Glow in the dark plants?

Panama Pete

Glow in the dark plants?

Post by Panama Pete »

Been of work ill, and came across this on Discovery whilst watching Synthetic Biology. (yep been a long day) Its quite scary to be honest. They have crossed a sheep with a spider using a spiders gene code to make a silk used in bullet proof vests for the military, and there was also back street labs unregulated in the U.S with normal people after their day jobs tinkering with nature. Doing a search were not too far behind....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17511710

But I thought this was the best part - a glowing plant.

There altering plants with firefly genes. We could have glowing Trachie's in a few years. :alien: :alien:
Take a look at http://glowingplant.com/

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... ark-plants

But most of all what do you think about all this? I think its all wrong messing with nature.
stephenprudence

Re: Glow in the dark plants?

Post by stephenprudence »

Ethically it's a don't go there situation, socially it's conundrum and I doubt it'll get a lot of support.

However on the other hand if the laws of nature allow it then it's not universally wrong.
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Its freaked me out Stephen whats possible, better get my self back to work asap :lol:
Dim

Post by Dim »

and on a side note ...

according to some....

when comet Ison passes (in a few days time), we will be entering the age of Aquarius ...

our physical bodies will 'glow and turn to light'... and we will glow
icon_scratch

some say that this comet is as huge as australia
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Bioiluminescence requires energy and as such the best a plant will be able to do is a very short display - like those plants that move when touched. They will also quickly exhaust themselves. Bioiluminescence in plants has uses - when attacked by insects for example, so a farmer can see where to spray etc but you do not want your crop to exhaust itself with it either!
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Just settle for some carefully placed spotlights.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Dim wrote:and on a side note ...

according to some....

when comet Ison passes (in a few days time), we will be entering the age of Aquarius ...

our physical bodies will 'glow and turn to light'... and we will glow
icon_scratch

some say that this comet is as huge as australia
Comet Ison is as likely to blow up in our sun as it is to get past, we have 50/50 chance at best of seeing it. Its only 2 km across and they reckon it is borderline whether it can survive the suns corona.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

"But I thought this was the best part - a glowing plant. "

How about a naturally growing 'glow-in-the-dark'
Not strictly a glowing plant, but a glowing fungi which I had to take a picture of. I've no idea what sort it was but looked quite beautiful and glowed quite brightly in the dim light. Due to me only having a picture, had to take a pic of it with my digital today.
Picture 3357 [640x480].jpg
Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Didn't the film Avatar, feature alot of bioiluminescense?