Bamboo's for screening

blackkcp

Bamboo's for screening

Post by blackkcp »

Hi - first post and one I know has been asked many times!! I'm looking for some suitable bamboo's to provide some screening against some unsightly buildings on one side of my garden. I'm located in West Yorkshire and have a run of about 8 metres I'd like to cover. I'm looking for nice thick cover with a height of about 2.5-3.0 metres, higher doesn't actually matter.

I'm not exactly a newbie with bamboo as I've had 3 golden bamboo and about half a dozen Pseudosasa japonica all bought this last year. The golden bamboos are all clump forming and over the past year seem to have grown very well, unfortunately I'm sure I've planted them not only to close together but also to close to a fence which I'm concerned will affect their ability to grow bigger?

The Pseudosasa japonica has been a challenge - I had no idea what clump or invasive bamboo was and these all seem to be invasive - new shoots sprang up in my lawn which I wasn't expecting! So some I've put in big pots and one, the best looking one I've put a barrier around using some old kitchen lino - back breaking work but I think it will contain it.

Two of the golden bamboo are just above the height of a 6ft fence and one is about 4ft and looks a little spindly at the moment although new stems have appeared - I think it got wind damaged early this year and has struggled until I moved it to a more sheltered position. The Pseudosasa japonica still in the ground looks very impressive, very bushy and green but not the height I want - it's grown at a pretty alarming rate over the summer - my soil is very good, has loads of compost added to it and was watered throughout the summer. The Pseudosasa japonica is at about 5ft high and a good 5ft across.

My question really is what would people suggest as a suitable bamboo for my requirements? I've read many posts and vivax gets lots of mentions as does bissetti but am open to suggestions. When planting bamboo such as this what is the ideal distance that plants to be spaced and how far from the fence should I plant to ultimately give a nice thick screen in the years to come. And finally I'd prefer clump forming as I don't fancy having bamboo appearing everywhere.

Thanks in advance.
Neil Ziemski

Re: Bamboo's for screening

Post by Neil Ziemski »

I think the best for a hedge is fargesia rufa.
You might not quite get the height of 3metres though, 2 maybe.
But it will bulk up quickly it grows anywhere and won't run .
I have loads in my garden as it is easy to divide.
Bisetti is another option.
Neil
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I'm trying Fargesia robusta for a slightly taller screen.

grub

Post by grub »

Fargesia is imo the best for hedging if you allow it enough space to clump up, Robusta 'Campbell' being my favourite icon_thumleft Pseudosasa japonica is a no, no in the ground unless you've lots of room, that one really does run...
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

on the plus side for psuedosasa it is one of the best for hedges, quite tall and closely packed big leaved canes.

I would never plant one in open ground in a regular garden with neighbours though.
blackkcp

Post by blackkcp »

Thanks all, I stumbled across Fargesia robusta (Campbell) browsing last night and very much like the look of this. As for the pseudosasa japonica I'm going to remove that completely - the largish clump I have does look really nice - but the rate at which it spread this year alone was alarming!

I'm tempted to put this in several large pots as seems a waste to just turn it into compost.

Thanks again.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Robusta campbell. Thick. Windproof. Straight growing. Huge flushes of culms. Nice white checkerboard effect. Doesnt run. See here...
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... =1&t=20308

Its even bigger now 6 months on
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

I was going to suggest Fargesia 'asian wonder' & 'red arrow' but looking at Campbell, that looks a much quicker screen.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

In fact take a look at the start of this video, heres how it looked in September, super fill out icon_thumleft

blackkcp

Post by blackkcp »

Thanks, great video - if that's your garden then its a credit to you, looks amazing. So I've decided that the robusta campbell is the one I'd like and I can break this up a little with my 3 golden bamboos.

I take it that there's no problem buying these now and keeping them in pots until next year, just make sure to wrap in bubble wrap or similar and protect from cold winds if the weather turns nasty?

As for the japonica can these be tamed in large pots and just left or will it just end up as a mass of roots? And what is a suitable container for these - I've heard that they will eventually crack pots. I'm a bit loathed to just get rid of these as I do quite like them, just not their ability to spread like wildfire!
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

I have japonica in a big round builders tub from homebase, the boo seems happy enough and hasn't attempted to escape.....yet. I water it most days in the summer as it dries out quickly.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

blackkcp wrote:Thanks, great video - if that's your garden then its a credit to you, looks amazing. So I've decided that the robusta campbell is the one I'd like and I can break this up a little with my 3 golden bamboos.

I take it that there's no problem buying these now and keeping them in pots until next year, just make sure to wrap in bubble wrap or similar and protect from cold winds if the weather turns nasty?

As for the japonica can these be tamed in large pots and just left or will it just end up as a mass of roots? And what is a suitable container for these - I've heard that they will eventually crack pots. I'm a bit loathed to just get rid of these as I do quite like them, just not their ability to spread like wildfire!

Yeah you should see it now though :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: (bomb site.com)

The Robusta campbell sails through winter without any yellowing, cold or wind damage, same can't be said for my other boos :lol:
blackkcp

Post by blackkcp »

Hi - can anyone recommend what sort of distance apart I should be planting the robusta campbell to get a nice thick screen, and also as these will be planted where there is already a 1.8m fence how far from the fence should I be planting as well?

The area in question during the summer months is in full sun and as I've found out my existing bamboo and kerria japonica really grew some over last year so I'm expecting big things from the robusta!!

Thanks in advance.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

blackkcp wrote:Hi - can anyone recommend what sort of distance apart I should be planting the robusta campbell to get a nice thick screen, and also as these will be planted where there is already a 1.8m fence how far from the fence should I be planting as well?

The area in question during the summer months is in full sun and as I've found out my existing bamboo and kerria japonica really grew some over last year so I'm expecting big things from the robusta!!

Thanks in advance.
I planted 4 specimens a foot apart, and around a foot away from the wall

Last edited by cordyman on Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
blackkcp

Post by blackkcp »

That's great thanks cordyman, just planning my garden out on a piece of paper now :D

On a related note I would also like something of a large specimen plant where I currently have a rather tired looking buddleja which stands at around 12 feet tall. I'm in two minds whether to remove this and replace with a single bamboo specimen - phyllostachys glauca or bissetti but again I'm a bit concerned on how invasive these are even though the internet seems to tell me these are also clumping - clumping and invasive, is that right?

So suggestions welcome please - basically something tall and tropical, not a bamboo but I stumbled across some threads about musa basjoo and will certainly be getting one of those this year - truly amazing plant!

Thanks.