This is a beauty (exotic garden London)

Mick C

Re: This is a beauty (exotic garden London)

Post by Mick C »

Dave Brown wrote:
Steph wrote:It's Dave Brysons garden from EPS.

Largest Princeps in the UK... its come up before.
maybe that explains the low viewing, as he hasn't been the most popular person on forums :roll:
Which is a shame, if not entirely surprising. As well as having a marvelous garden he was party to one of the most remarkable forum entries

http://www.growingontheedge.net/viewtop ... n+the+mist

Sorry for drifting O/T
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Cool garden.

I think that the gardening climate is the only thing that would tempt me to try living down in London.
ash101uk

Post by ash101uk »

Nice find.

Enjoyed that.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Fantastic plants.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Is that a Philodendron bipinnatifidum at 0:35 in the top-right corner?

Northwood Hills is on the outskirts of London, very little urban heat there.
billdango

Post by billdango »

Any forum member can do as good as that.

His garden looks far to "busy" with to many plants and it seems to lack a theme.

I think less plants with a better presentation would be a lot easier and I still think some of us forum members inc Dave have a much better display properly arranged and looking like a lot less hassle.

Correct me if I am wrong?

billdango icon_sunny
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

A very nice garden. Even a Pteris wallichiana I see there.

Well and a few weeds left.

Alexander
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I have to say I think that garden is awesome!, I love the mixture of wet/dry plants living together, I don't believe tropical gardening look's as pleasing on the eye if everything is layed out to neatly :lol: . karl.
leunerj

Post by leunerj »

otorongo wrote:Is that a Philodendron bipinnatifidum at 0:35 in the top-right corner?

Northwood Hills is on the outskirts of London, very little urban heat there.
Yes it is, but it's potted and brought inside during winter. I've visited the garden and it is indeed a wonder to behold.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

billdango wrote:Any forum member can do as good as that.

His garden looks far to "busy" with to many plants and it seems to lack a theme.

I think less plants with a better presentation would be a lot easier and I still think some of us forum members inc Dave have a much better display properly arranged and looking like a lot less hassle.

Correct me if I am wrong?

billdango icon_sunny
Can you have too many plants? The garden probably is on the side of 'too busy' and could do with grouping plants to give a better effect.

He has made good use of a smaller plot by using raised beds at angles to make the garden appear wider and used neighbouring trees for height, shelter and a green backdrop which is all good.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Big thumbs up from me too. Yes its crammed but imo its been done well.
I tried the crammed look this year in my main border and by the end of the season everything looked really stretched and was fighting for light, so it ended up looking rather messy.

I like the view down towards the house icon_thumleft
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

I thought it was a nice garden by all rights, but not enough colour in there for me.
billdango

Post by billdango »

Many years ago back in the early seventies when I got hooked by the exotic bug I made the big mistake of cramming to many plants into a small garden.

No matter what I did that garden always ended up looking a total mess.

You name and i grew it and looking back at my old photos the amount of color i had was totally overdone and the wind ,rain and slugs made everything look rubbish by early August.

So in the end I concentrated on hardy palms and now although I have a lot of plants they do at least have a subtropical theme and i have got rid of all the fussy weak things that i used to grow.

Now i have a garden full of "hardy exotics" with hardly any lifting or moving "except 4 pots" and no slugs either.

I got rid of all "so called bedding plants" and time wasting hanging baskets "which were always getting stolen anyway" and my life is richer and easier for it.

So the theme to this post is grow good tough hardy palms etc and save time and money and constant frustration because whatever you do you will never beat the weather in this country.

Good luck
billdango icon_sunny
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

A good deal of common sense relayed their Bill, but human nature being what it is you just can't help having a go at the impossible. :lol: icon_thumright

Thanks for the link Mick. icon_thumright
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

One of the things that I have most enjoyed about having a go at Exotics is that planting a single plant in-and-amongst nearly always works. Never been able to do that with a herbaceous border / cottage garden; they need groups & drifts, and are thus predictable as a consequence. Seeing a single Solanum laciniatum, for example, stuffed in amongst other plants just adds interest - to my eyes at least. But I have very little colour, its mostly Greens - but there are some wacky variegated plants in there which provide contrast and, in some cases, colour too.