What new plants will you try in 2014?

DiCasS

Re: What new plants will you try in 2014?

Post by DiCasS »

Very nice purchases Parkeey, all lovely plants icon_cheers

Doing a remodelling next year and want/need a tree so will probably go for Kalopanax septemlobus f.. maximowiczii if I still have any funds left after Christmas.

I've also started to look for seeds and have ordered Aristolochia Ringens (Dutchmans Pipe). If they germinate might try growing it up my Trachycarpus.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
kata

Post by kata »

Your tree Di,

Its lovely.

Named in honour of the Russian botanist, Maximowicz. Based in St. Petersburg he travelled widely in Siberia, Mongolia and Japan during the 19th century and introduced many fine plants! This plant is also known as Kalopanax pictus var maximowiczii.

icon_cheers

Names in plants always intrigue me.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

DiCasS wrote: will probably go for Kalopanax septemlobus f.. maximowiczii if I still have any funds left after Christmas.

Di
Interesting - I have been on the lookout for Kalopanax, esp the 'duck leaved' one (http://www.alternativeeden.com/2011/07/ ... panax.html).
DAVIDEVANS

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

My intention has always ben to create a jungly garden. I'm never too sure if I'm getting there. Every year there are some bits I like and some I don't. This year has gone far too green and too little colour. I've enjoyed growing loads of cannas from seed but most of them have come up not that far different from each other in colour and form.

So, having seen all your recent photos I have bought a fair few plants and seeds which are different for me. I am still looking to replace Canna Intrigue. I bought some seeds of this from the states but haven't yet to see the form I previously had. On the canna front have bought 9 plants from Jungle Plants and am trying to get them going through the winter. Canna Stuggart is the most interesting because of it's foliage.

Have ordered a dozen dahlia cuttings from the RHS, not something I would ever have done if it wasn't for you lot - dahlias are so last century.

Daturas, hostas, hemerocallis, New Zealand flax and seeds of a few other coloured leaves I have found on eay.

Was also intrigued by Irish Moss and similar plants (Sagina subulata and herniaria glabra) in some of the photos so going to give a few of those a try.

Never had any success with welsh poppies. Will give those a try yet again between the ferns. Love Aquilegia but have had limited success (best so far was borrowing an unwanted seedling from).

Am going to let climbers grow through the trees and over the hut. Ipoemena is at the top of the list followed by Spanish Flag
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

after seeing some pics of that castor tree I need to find one in the states
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Thanks Kata, wanted one for a while but couldn't find a spot for it here. I've got the perfect spot now where this could go.

It ticks a lot of boxes for me this plant does, nice leaves, if you want you can prune it to keep it spikey and hardy as well. Not a huggable tree though.

Thanks for the link Blairs, enjoyed the read.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
call

Post by call »

Kalopanax septolobus, Schefflera, Fatsia polycarpa, Hibiscus coccineus, Massonia, psuedopanax lessonii, Curculigo crassipipes, Mahonia 'soft caress', Protea, Phillodendron bipinnatifidum, cyathea.........ect. ect. ect.
Simba

Post by Simba »

I have one bed that I am not happy with, my 'shade' bed, and will be digging up and moving a few things about.

This might mean that one or two plants have to go.
I have a 6ft Schefflera Taiwaniana that might be sacrificed, and a Trachycarpus with 4ft of trunk.

But once completed i should have a bit of space for new additions such as Blechnum Chilense and Fatsia Anneliese.
I also want to restock with a few varieties of Crocosmia.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

can anyone point me in the direction of a good supplier of this Kalopanax septemlobus f.. maximowiczii? even a sneaky import job has got to be easier than finding it over here
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

miketropic wrote:can anyone point me in the direction of a good supplier of this Kalopanax septemlobus f.. maximowiczii? even a sneaky import job has got to be easier than finding it over here
Problem will be getting a nursery to dispatch to the USA: and few will do that. Best bet is to ask on the buy/barter/swap page and ask for seed? Kalopanax can be bought in a few nurseries but maximowiczii variety is much rarer and I can only find one in the UK selling it (£35 - they specifically say no sending to USA).
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Hoping to get a trachycapus wagenarius from nigel once my work starts up again, also want to try a musa thai black, and a miscanthus, and possibly a Brugmansia wanted one for about a year now, nearly brought one last year but the GC had sold out by the time i went back. :-(
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Anything that will give me quick instant height (7ft plus)...and ordered a 6ft Dicksonia antarctica.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

Simba wrote:I have one bed that I am not happy with, my 'shade' bed, and will be digging up and moving a few things about.

This might mean that one or two plants have to go.
I have a 6ft Schefflera Taiwaniana that might be sacrificed, and a Trachycarpus with 4ft of trunk.

But once completed i should have a bit of space for new additions such as Blechnum Chilense and Fatsia Anneliese.
I also want to restock with a few varieties of Crocosmia.

if you touch that schefflera you should be banned from the forum :shock:
PaulPlants

Post by PaulPlants »

I've received all of my carnivorous plants what I plan to plant as a verticle bog garden picture! I'm insane, I know, but normal people just ain't interesting!

I might try some bromeliads this year too... This hobby can be so damn expensive!
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Blairs wrote:
miketropic wrote:can anyone point me in the direction of a good supplier of this Kalopanax septemlobus f.. maximowiczii? even a sneaky import job has got to be easier than finding it over here
Problem will be getting a nursery to dispatch to the USA: and few will do that. Best bet is to ask on the buy/barter/swap page and ask for seed? Kalopanax can be bought in a few nurseries but maximowiczii variety is much rarer and I can only find one in the UK selling it (£35 - they specifically say no sending to USA).

If you got a place to buy it I will worry about getting it over here..now whats that GC website :lol: