Bringing festive cheer to a bleak time of year

Troppoz

Re: Bringing festive cheer to a bleak time of year

Post by Troppoz »

Dave Brown wrote:Thanks Sean, but there are a lot of plants dying back for winter, probably much as plants die back in the dry season in Darwin. The camera only picks out the major plantings like palms so looks better on the pic than in real life :wink:

Bah to false modesty Dave, its a superb garden even moreso for the location and time of year, be proud of what youve achieved!

Your frost free season seems to be much shorter than cooler inland climates in southern Australia. If this garden was in somewhere like Wagga Wagga it would have been fried to death by frost long before a week prior to winter solstice! Not even a frond on a Dicksonia would be green and alive by this stage in winter, sure the summer growing season is better but I think with a shorter frost free period UK growers have better chances of tropical gardening than much of Australia to be honest...
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Troppoz wrote:Your frost free season seems to be much shorter than cooler inland climates in southern Australia. If this garden was in somewhere like Wagga Wagga it would have been fried to death by frost long before a week prior to winter solstice! Not even a frond on a Dicksonia would be green and alive by this stage in winter, sure the summer growing season is better but I think with a shorter frost free period UK growers have better chances of tropical gardening than much of Australia to be honest...
I can't quite make sense of it, did you mean Dave's frost free season is longer ( = his frosty season is shorter)? ;)
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

otorongo wrote:
Troppoz wrote:Your frost free season seems to be much shorter than cooler inland climates in southern Australia. If this garden was in somewhere like Wagga Wagga it would have been fried to death by frost long before a week prior to winter solstice! Not even a frond on a Dicksonia would be green and alive by this stage in winter, sure the summer growing season is better but I think with a shorter frost free period UK growers have better chances of tropical gardening than much of Australia to be honest...
I can't quite make sense of it, did you mean Dave's frost free season is longer ( = his frosty season is shorter)? ;)
Correct. For example Canberra has 3 times the annual frost days than Dave's location I found out recently. Seems counter-intuitive and I was surprised. Of course the days with frost are a fair bit warmer and sunnier giving plants more time to recoup their energy and the frost free season is much warmer and sunnier again so it all probably evens out over the year growth wise.

Still, to have Dicksonia antarctica green and lush like that in mid-winter in Canberra would be unheard of unless they were very protected icon_thumright
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Troppoz wrote:For example Canberra has 3 times the annual frost days than Dave's location
I couldn't find a First / Last Frost Dates resource for Australia (I kept getting sites with pictures of David Frost ...)

Dave's area is probably Mid-November - Late-April - so a risk of frosts for 5 months. Is that shorter / longer than similar locations in Oz?

UK First/Last (potential) frost dates:
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/main/weather1-result.asp
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Kristen have a look here: http://www.bom.gov.au/jsp/ncc/climate_a ... /index.jsp

And here: http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/canberra/climate.shtml

Canberra as an example has 99 frosts per year on average, I think Dave's is in the 30s. Earliest frost on record 7th March which would be like 7th September for you northerners, latest on record 11th November which would be like 7th May. Is that right?

Latest frost free period was until 1st June (1st December) and earliest frost free period was from 31st August (31st February) so basically they have never recorded a winter that didnt have frost from beginning to end of winter, let alone the equivalent of 13th of June for you guys and no frost!

Their lowest temperature on record was -10c and they get snow every few years. I have even been there for a White Christmas with snow falling on the mountains around the city to quite low altitude and bitterly cold, so thats like snow at the end of June and needing a fireplace going. Winter frosts are regularly -5c and -6c for nights on end with one or two nights down to -8c every year. Days are usually sunny with a maximum of around 10c but as low as 2c or 3c occasionally. Summers are a very different beast though, sunny and warm with an average maximum of around 28c in midsummer, up to 38c or 39c with a record of 42c. Owing to its at altitude 600m+ summer nights are usually cool around 12c or 13c, rarely 20+c in a heatwave.

Like I said, its very sunny with an average of 7.6 hours sunlight a day going from 9 hours in high summer to 5 hours in mid winter, one of the highest in Australia. Its because of the sunny climate they decided to build the capital there so its now a city of half a million people, but the clear sunny skies are also why its also very frosty. I knew a Scottish expat who called Canberra home who told me that the winter there reminded him of a Scottish spring, if thats any guide to go by...

Sorry, Christmas light thread hijacked, I should keep my weather fetish for the appropriate forum icon_thumright
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Troppoz wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:Thanks Sean, but there are a lot of plants dying back for winter, probably much as plants die back in the dry season in Darwin. The camera only picks out the major plantings like palms so looks better on the pic than in real life :wink:

Bah to false modesty Dave, its a superb garden even moreso for the location and time of year, be proud of what youve achieved!

Your frost free season seems to be much shorter than cooler inland climates in southern Australia. If this garden was in somewhere like Wagga Wagga it would have been fried to death by frost long before a week prior to winter solstice! Not even a frond on a Dicksonia would be green and alive by this stage in winter, sure the summer growing season is better but I think with a shorter frost free period UK growers have better chances of tropical gardening than much of Australia to be honest...

now THAT is an eyeopener!!!! :shock: icon_study
Tom and Shell

Post by Tom and Shell »

Yeah derrrrr didn't really read what I was typing :oops: it's a Trachycarpus guys :D