Dicksonia antarctica straw cage cocoon, temp gain over outside, *early reading

cordyman

Dicksonia antarctica straw cage cocoon, temp gain over outside, *early reading

Post by cordyman »

De binbagged and de fleeced the Dicksonia antarctica cocoon to install the wireless temp sensor

The cocoon certainly keeps the elements out, wet, wind, frost and ice, but does it offer any temp benefit?

I'm not expecting it to differ much in the milder temps, but i'm sure it will once we drop to zero and below. The cage is linked directly with the warm ground temps so this should channel up the cocoon in theory.

Cast your votes as to how much if any temps will differ vs outside?
Last edited by cordyman on Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
otorongo

Re: Dicksonia antarctica straw cage cocoon, temp gain over o

Post by otorongo »

Is that where the sensor is, exposed to the outside? If so, not much difference!
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Could the sensor be put in the crown.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

no the sensor is buried near the crown and covered back up with straw, fleece bag back in place, and bin bag back over the top icon_thumleft
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Great idea cordy.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

going to take the first reading in a mo, now its had chance to settle icon_salut

will also record the high and low, so if we get any prolonged frozen spells, can see how long its been sub zero etc icon_thumleft
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

There should be little temperature difference during the day. The straw and fleece should release the heat slower during the long winter nights in principal, that is why you do it.

It was also 12C here and I took all my Dicksonia antarctica out of the greenhouse to soak up the damp mild weather. The cocoon would be good for a repeat of 2010, not what we have had so far this winter.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Outside temp 9.4*c

Dicksonia antarctica cocoon temp 9.9*c

no temp benefit to be seen at the moment, they can vary by 0.5*c anyway

also when the sun is on the black bin bag on a clear day that may show some heat up icon_salut
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Blairs wrote:There should be little temperature difference during the day. The straw and fleece should release the heat slower during the long winter nights in principal, that is why you do it.

It was also 12C here and I took all my Dicksonia antarctica out of the greenhouse to soak up the damp mild weather. The cocoon would be good for a repeat of 2010, not what we have had so far this winter.

Thought so, i'll have to wait for the next cold spell to see some temp gains :lol: :shock:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

If the straw is dry it won't produce any heat, therefore the only gain can be through external air temp rise, or solar gain in the sun. Be prepared that after a cold spell, that the temp inside will remain cooler than outside for maybe a day or so as it will insulate both ways, against cold and warmth

Damp straw will start to decompose so will generate heat. That was why straw was originally used. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by bordersboy »

Have to ask this. What about using a machine washable electric blanket on its lowest setting to get a 3-5ft treefern through a harsh winter ? Seems plausible if not daft ? ive a got a couplle of cheaply bought ones that need using either for this or forcing seedsin the spring icon_geek
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

bordersboy wrote:Have to ask this. What about using a machine washable electric blanket on its lowest setting to get a 3-5ft treefern through a harsh winter ? Seems plausible if not daft ? ive a got a couplle of cheaply bought ones that need using either for this or forcing seedsin the spring icon_geek
I doubt electric blankets are BS 7671 compliant if used outside, ie you risk electrocuting yourself and more importantly the Fern.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Blairs wrote:
bordersboy wrote:Have to ask this. What about using a machine washable electric blanket on its lowest setting to get a 3-5ft treefern through a harsh winter ? Seems plausible if not daft ? ive a got a couplle of cheaply bought ones that need using either for this or forcing seedsin the spring icon_geek
I doubt electric blankets are BS 7671 compliant if used outside, ie you risk electrocuting yourself and more importantly the Fern.
Definitely don't use anything that will get to more than +15C or you may force a flush at a time of year when the croziers won't survive.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by cordyman »

Dave Brown wrote:If the straw is dry it won't produce any heat, therefore the only gain can be through external air temp rise, or solar gain in the sun. Be prepared that after a cold spell, that the temp inside will remain cooler than outside for maybe a day or so as it will insulate both ways, against cold and warmth

Damp straw will start to decompose so will generate heat. That was why straw was originally used. :wink:

there are holes in the bin bags on the sides for ventilation etc, and these also let some rain in, straw is always slightly damp in places, so I guess this could be occurring the years i've tried this.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I wonder if the wrapping should be:

Wire cage around & over plant
Another wire cylinder around that (larger diameter)
Stuff the gap with straw, put straw over the top, apply a "hat" (bin bag, or fleece bag).

Then any heat from the earth that rises inside inner-cage will be trapped, and warm the plant (providing?? faster temperature recovery during and in immediate aftermath of cold weather)