This winter is flying by! lack of cold or?

cordyman

This winter is flying by! lack of cold or?

Post by cordyman »

Anyone else think this winter is flying by, autumn seems to have disappeared with the blink of an eyelid, and the dark nights haven't bothered me one bit yet, Dave announces the light nights are on the way :lol: and today was cooking! It just gets better and better.

Not sure if its the mild weather, daylight bulb in the office from start of season, new office window spot at work with the skyline in view all day, lack of rain, or a combo, but i'm pretty content with things thus far icon_salut icon_salut icon_salut
Deedee

Re: This winter is flying by! lack of cold or?

Post by Deedee »

Totally agree Cordy, we have been buzy tho for a few weeks and the weather up here is mild, really mild today, ive been checking out gardening stuff which is early for me, also ordered a parasol for my xmas present off the hub, still researching the sack barrow :D good tips from your thread icon_thumleft cheers.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

well winter is only 9 days old meteorologically, and astronomically, it hasn't started yet! :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

Take care,

Winter will bite your botty if you relax for a minute...high winds expected around Christmas week.

:mrgreen:
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

January is normally a foul month Cordy, but its been good so far.
Mowgley

Post by Mowgley »

Was just thinking the same earlier while picking up shards of glass from the greenhouse that where smashed on Thursday.
Cleaned all the panes while I was at it too.
I wish people would stop saying we're going to pay for it later though.
We have paid for it the last 3 winters and this years never ending cold spring :D
Long may it continue icon_cheers
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

We haven't had any freezes, but November was 1.6°C BELOW NORMAL, so been winter here for nearly a month now. Virtually no sun. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Dave Brown wrote:We haven't had any freezes, but November was 1.6°C BELOW NORMAL, so been winter here for nearly a month now. Virtually no sun. :roll:
Dull, cool conditions doesn't kill plants. Ice/cold could. Admittedly dull weather is depressing.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:We haven't had any freezes, but November was 1.6°C BELOW NORMAL, so been winter here for nearly a month now. Virtually no sun. :roll:
Dull, cool conditions doesn't kill plants. Ice/cold could. Admittedly dull weather is depressing.
Sorry Kris, don't agree. Many microclimate plants survive better with daytime solar heating even if colder overnight. The difference between UK and the Med is in many cases lack of daytime warmth, not colder nights. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Dave Brown wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:
Sorry Kris, don't agree. Many microclimate plants survive better with daytime solar heating even if colder overnight. The difference between UK and the Med is in many cases lack of daytime warmth, not colder nights. :wink:
Fair enough but id rather it be frost free and dull all winter long.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Come and get some of this snow... :evil: winter has been here for awhile now. Much colder and worse than the past 10 years..guess I am paying for the last few good ones we have had.
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Tomorrows Dail Star "newspaper" headline 180 mph storm is a comin folks :ahhh!: ............ :lol:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Whilst I agree unfortunately winter proper shouldn't start until December and january and February are historically the coldest months. However signs look excellent for average to mild right up to Xmas. Not sure where the paper is gettinga storm from. The US looks very cold though, sorry to see Mike. But come what may as Dave says in a couple of weeks the days get longer again.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Tom2006 wrote:Whilst I agree unfortunately winter proper shouldn't start until December and january and February are historically the coldest months. However signs look excellent for average to mild right up to Xmas. Not sure where the paper is gettinga storm from. The US looks very cold though, sorry to see Mike. But come what may as Dave says in a couple of weeks the days get longer again.

true, I work at night so its dark when I come home and usually dark when I wake up so it is very depressing in the winter. add in that my job has no heat and our temps are stupid cold right now I just want to crawl in a hole :lol: I will be glad to see the sun return and days get longer ASAP
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

This winter is shaping up a lot like last year for me here in Preston. Not too cold, not too damp but long shadows and short days.

Nothing to worry about yet for me, haven't needed any protection at all other than the greenhouse but last year it wasn't the cold that was the issue it was the mild winter followed by the cool spring that set a lot of plants back after they started to grow again and a lot of the stuff in the ground like Canna and Basjoo rotted away and never came back.

I'd much rather suffer a cold January/February if it meant a warm spring.