Colocasia stalled, advice please.

jungle jas

Colocasia stalled, advice please.

Post by jungle jas »

I obtained a small Gaoligongensis and was given a Dark Stem Hybrid in October both were in 7 cm pots. I repotted into a 10 cm pots and have kept them in a heated room with temperatures between 16c - 22c on a south facing window. I have been rewarded with a new leaf on both of them every two weeks. That was until 2 weeks ago when they both stopped growing and the leaves shriveled and died. I'm assuming ing the short day length stopped them? The roots were OK when I tipped them out of the pots. Having failed to keep them going, what do I do now? Do I dry them off and keep them cool or does anyone have a better Idea as I am a complete novice with Colocasia. Thanks icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Colocasia stalled, advice please.

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Light probably... Between now and March is the worst time for them going dormant in my experience.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Light probably... Between now and March is the worst time for them going dormant in my experience.
That was my guess Kris, but what do I do with them now dry them off or keep them damp. icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

jungle jas wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:Light probably... Between now and March is the worst time for them going dormant in my experience.
That was my guess Kris, but what do I do with them now dry them off or keep them damp. icon_thumright
Tricky one, if the rhizomes are small I would get them going again in a heated propogator. In a well lit spot.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

I had the same problem with some C. noble gigante . A few weeks in a heated prop and they've comeback ok.........
Attachments
DSC06035 (Copy).JPG
DSC06036 (Copy).JPG
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Arlon yours are looking much better than mine. :lol: I will give that a go! What temperature did you set your propagator at?
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

jungle jas wrote:Arlon yours are looking much better than mine. :lol: I will give that a go! What temperature did you set your propagator at?
A few weeks ago they looked like a shriveled up old leaf and stem. Mine's a bog standard sankey, no thermostat. I did a temp check a while ago and at best it gets up to low to mid 20's.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
jungle jas wrote:Arlon yours are looking much better than mine. :lol: I will give that a go! What temperature did you set your propagator at?
A few weeks ago they looked like a shriveled up old leaf and stem. Mine's a bog standard sankey, no thermostat. I did a temp check a while ago and at best it gets up to low to mid 20's.
icon_thumright icon_thumright