Palm Centre Winter Sale 2013

Mowgley

Re: Palm Centre Winter Sale 2013

Post by Mowgley »

Well my butia came this morning after ordering yesterday great service.
Not unwrapped it yet it's still in the hall.
It's blowing a gale outside and pi**ing down for a change.
Hopefully some pics tomorrow.
Mowgley

Post by Mowgley »

Well here it is, not bad for £35
image.jpg
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Mowgley wrote:Well here it is, not bad for £35
image.jpg
Looks a great plant.
gabriel

Post by gabriel »

Good buy.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Great plant mowgley,unfortunatley i dont give it much hope if your planting it out as i've lost 2 much bigger specimen's. karl.
Mowgley

Post by Mowgley »

Thx everyone
Nope not planting in out. Will be staying in its pot and placed at the back of the border.
Will be brought in to the GH for the winter :D
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

karl66 wrote:Great plant mowgley,unfortunatley i dont give it much hope if your planting it out as i've lost 2 much bigger specimen's. karl.
Looks the perfect size for planting out to me. Not too small that it can't cope with cold and not too big when it would take longer to establish.
kevineden

Post by kevineden »

got a brahea for £69 thought i would have a second try @ growing this one icon_scratch
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Unless your on the south coast or very lucky in a sheltered spot the only feather palm's that are worth planting out are Jubaea chillensis & even then they have to be 12/15 year old specimen's to have a chance. karl,
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

karl66 wrote:Unless your on the south coast or very lucky in a sheltered spot the only feather palm's that are worth planting out are Jubaea chillensis & even then they have to be 12/15 year old specimen's to have a chance. karl,
Does that worry you if you purchases a large one?
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Rob, everything carry's some risk :) ,I have a Jubaea about 16 year old planted out which is doing very well out in the rear garden, the front drive is a lot more sheltered so that coupled with 35 year old Jubaea should be ok!. karl.
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

karl66 wrote:Unless your on the south coast or very lucky in a sheltered spot the only feather palm's that are worth planting out are Jubaea chillensis & even then they have to be 12/15 year old specimen's to have a chance. karl,
What kind of temps killed your butias? We have some big ones near us, even came through -9C in 2010. We are not the south coast, but Surrey :)
derrick

Post by derrick »

Surreys a big area from Farnham up to Croydon near London . Some cold spots in the sticks .Some big palms in surrey . Some Butia about Southampton but most in well drained soil near a building .I think I will have one in a pot . If to heavy to drag outside winter. Then ill build a rain shelter to keep it dry .The rain fall has been silly I need a flood gate .Wet winter dry summer .
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

On this side of the pond a dry Butia will take -13 and even the slightest bit below that will spear pull. I know of a few that have taken those temps on a regular basis and do alright. we do have much different winter climates though so the ones over there may pull much easier. mine has been in a pot for awhile but it will go in ground this year and have to deal on its own.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

derrick wrote:Surreys a big area from Farnham up to Croydon near London . Some cold spots in the sticks .Some big palms in surrey . Some Butia about Southampton but most in well drained soil near a building .I think I will have one in a pot . If to heavy to drag outside winter. Then ill build a rain shelter to keep it dry .The rain fall has been silly I need a flood gate .Wet winter dry summer .

Butia will be absolutely fine outside in Southampton without any help!