Big quick plants from seeds?

Panama Pete

Big quick plants from seeds?

Post by Panama Pete »

What seeds make considerable growth in one season. I've got the Ricinus, Sunflower, Canna, Dahlia, Amaranthus etc, but i'm wanting more that make a statement come Aug/September. Any ideas of other less well known seeds. I don't care if perennials or not, as i grow a lot by seed to save money. :DD
paulrm71

Re: Big quick plants from seeds?

Post by paulrm71 »

I can vouch for solanum laciniatum, nice purple flowers, big green pinnate leaves and thick black trunks. Will grow from seed to around 7 foot by 7 foot
By the end of the season. Mine still look fine apart from precarious lean angles due to the storms and weights of the plants.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Perennials:
Petasites japonicus giganteus
Rheum palmatum
Solanum laciniatum - really depends on winter weather if it is more of an annual
Pumpkin
Tree dahlia
Nasturtium
Melianthus major
Sweetpea

Bulb/Rhizome:
Tree lily
Tree dahlia - after first year
Coco Yam
Eddoes
Jerusalem artichokes
Corn
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Thanks chaps, with all the suggestions you have given me I think that Melianthus major is the one. This will fit in nicely with some grasses and dahlia I have planned. Which seed company sells Melianthus major?

Thanks Pete
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

How long before a Melianthus major gets its bronze flower spikes. Is this achievable from seed first year? and if so what month would I expect to see them?

see link below

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowers/ ... jor/4607TM

Thanks Peter
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

How about Paulownia tomentosa? It would be 3 years until it was ready to stool each year, but thereafter it will do 8' or 10' with massive leaves.

I've grown several from seed.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Panama Pete wrote:How long before a Melianthus major gets its bronze flower spikes. Is this achievable from seed first year? and if so what month would I expect to see them?

see link below

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowers/ ... jor/4607TM

Thanks Peter
First year mine went between 30-50cm (I germinated from April - so perhaps bigger if earlier?), flowers second year as long as the top growth is not frosted. They flower on last years growth.

I got mine from Jungleseeds and got 60%+ germination rate (bottom heat). I got fresh ones back from holiday and got ~20% rate (pots out in summer sun).
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Have you tried Echium Pete? started mine off from seed 2012 grew to about 3ft in a pot! I planted it in a border this year and its now 7ft, love the leaves. Gonna grow some more this year but plant them straight into borders to see how tall they grow in there first season, a bit of a project for me :mrgreen:

First year, restricted in a pot..

After planting in border about june.. It rocketed after this..

Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Deedee wrote:Have you tried Echium Pete? started mine off from seed 2012 grew to about 3ft in a pot! I planted it in a border this year and its now 7ft, love the leaves. Gonna grow some more this year but plant them straight into borders to see how tall they grow in there first season, a bit of a project for me :mrgreen:

First year, restricted in a pot..

[ Image ]

After planting in border about june.. It rocketed after this..

[ Image ]

Hi I have not tried these yet. I actually had to ask what they were this summer in Devon I was that impressed. Think they will have to be added to seed list. Any particular type? is it best to buy as plant rather than a seed?

thanks pete
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Checked ebay, they are echium pininana blue, i paid 99p for 20 seeds 49p p&p. ill order again this year.. Its up to you Pete, germination was good, checkout the price of the plants, maybe order one for insurance but the seeds grew quickly, i think i tried 5 seeds and 4 germinated..

The sellers link, ill send for some now i think :D EDIT..Just noticed that one is snow tower but he has other seed just checking

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Echium-Pinina ... 20da816c19

More..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksi ... &_from=R40
Last edited by Deedee on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jcec1

Post by jcec1 »

Nicotiana sylvestris is really easy from seed and before flowering produces a rosette of leaves that are about 60cm. It starts flowering late July when it can easily reach 150cm tall.
Attachments
Garden 006.jpg
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Deedee wrote:Checked ebay, they are echium pininana blue, i paid 99p for 20 seeds 49p p&p. ill order again this year.. Its up to you Pete, germination was good, checkout the price of the plants, maybe order one for insurance but the seeds grew quickly, i think i tried 5 seeds and 4 germinated..

The sellers link, ill send for some now i think :D EDIT..Just noticed that one is snow tower but he has other seed just checking

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Echium-Pinina ... 20da816c19

More..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksi ... &_from=R40

Thanks - bargain at that price will take a look.
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

jcec1 wrote:Nicotiana sylvestris is really easy from seed and before flowering produces a rosette of leaves that are about 60cm. It starts flowering late July when it can easily reach 150cm tall.
I couldnt get these to germinate this year, so didn't have any. Really wanted these to get going. Im thinking of taking some of the lawn out next year to make a bed for seed grown tropical.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

I started Nicotina from seed 2 years ago, had great germination but i hated them, i stuck to them every time i walked past and so did the blackfly!

Jcec, they look great in your design, i just planted them in the wrong place i think :D
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

My N. sylvestris are planted a bit further back, with something smaller in front of them - so only time I get stuck to them is when weeding - although once their massive leaves are well developed there isn't much that tries to compete with them icon_thumleft