Tropical Scented Border

piechnik99

Tropical Scented Border

Post by piechnik99 »

With the new year on the horizon, I am planning a new smallish 'scented' border ( about 2 metres x 1.8 metres) by my front door, with the centre piece a 5ft ish Butia Capitata which I got from Easy Tropicals back in the autumn.

I was thinking of underplanting the Butia with scented perennials - something which would create a sensory aroma near the front door.

I haven't got much experience with scented flowering perennials - the only plants I've considered so far are lavender, monarda, maybe a rosemary.....ideally perennial plants which will earn there money over the year(s)....

I've been looking online, as well as reading up in my gardening books, but I thought it would be better to ask the pro's who have the real experience in tropical gardening :D

The site is part shade, and well drained, with a colour scheme of blue/silvers/whites/purples.... (and ideally tropical/Mediterranean looking)...

Has anyone got any tips or suggestions from there own successes? icon_cheers
Steph

Re: Tropical Scented Border

Post by Steph »

B R U G M A N S I A . . . .
David York

Post by David York »

You didn't say whether you wanted hardy plants for permanent planting, or tender plants just for the summer.
Vulneratus Non Victus - Wounded But Never Beaten
piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

David York wrote:You didn't say whether you wanted hardy plants for permanent planting, or tender plants just for the summer.
Oh yeah, sorry! :oops:

I was thinking of a mixture of both permanent planted perennials and a scattering of annuals.... if that makes sense! Not sure if it possible to have a mix of spring/summer/autumn scented plants - that would be a bonus! :)
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Sarcococca confusa for winter scent :) Hardy, perennial and evergreen icon_thumleft
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Lillie's, there are some beauties out there, google scented lillies and send for some bulbs, plenty colours to choose from and exotic looking..
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

The Butia will fill the space you've mentioned in a few years so I suggest small plants to grow under the Butia like Scented Pelargoniums, Lavender and stocks.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

The biggest problem with scents in the garden is that weather can ruin it - too wet or too windy and you lose the scent.

Freesia have a very pleasant scent in summer. My problem is getting them to reflower.

Daphne - can smell it close up - not sure if I would bother with it but there are some nice variegated Daphne worth investing in.

Roses - old fashioned but they smell of childhood. I do think that they can work in a jungle jungle garden.

Eucalyptus release their lovely aroma when large enough...my guess is they are not suitable for you.

Lavender and Rosemary only smell when you rub them and then sniff your hands so do not really have a smell it in the air scent, unless you live in Provence.
piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

Certainly got a few plants to check out!

I read somewhere that Dianthus offer great scent over the seasons, any recommendations?

I've also wondered about Nicotiana sylvestris - I did plant some small Nicotiana plants last year but they had no scent at all :(
jcec1

Post by jcec1 »

I grew a whole border of Nicotiana sylvestris and couldn't smell anything but the leaves which have their own distinctive odour, I also had night scented stock in the same border and couldn't smell them either, so I think it may be my sense of smell.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

piechnik99 wrote:by my front door
I'd put some Night Scented Stock in, if room. Nothing to look at, but powerful scent, and very worthwhile "by a front/back door" IMHO.
David York

Post by David York »

Piechninik, I grow many different fragrant plants, and if it's serious fragrance you are looking for, then you may wish to consider the following possibles.

Tracheolspermum jasminoides. H. Sh.
Whilst most people grow this as a climber, equally, it can be grown as a shrub, pruned back annually to the height and size you require. Hardy for me in the north, and seriously fragrant too! There is also T. asiaticum, which is equally fragrant and even hardier.

Zaluzianskya ovata. (H)H.P.
This perennial plant from South Africa is very capable of surviving a normal British winter. It flowers from late spring to mid summer and is super fragrant in the evening. Another one, equally fragrant is Z. 'Semonkong' and is just as hardy. This one tends to flower a little later, but then continues for the rest of the summer. Both originate from high in the Drakensburg mountains, where it gets very cold in winter. Both grow to around 6 inches and require free draining soil, but with plenty of moisture.
Vulneratus Non Victus - Wounded But Never Beaten
derrick

Post by derrick »

Brugmansia if you have the room to bring in for winter time . Hardy stuff I keep the Lilies in the ground all year they smell great .You can get the bulbs about this time or early spring . Lavender also hardy. I have one of them .
piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

otorongo wrote:Sarcococca confusa for winter scent :) Hardy, perennial and evergreen icon_thumleft
Liking the look of this as some evergreen structure icon_thumleft
piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:The Butia will fill the space you've mentioned in a few years so I suggest small plants to grow under the Butia like Scented Pelargoniums, Lavender and stocks.
It is quite a large palm, so I'm thinking of underplanting (although I'm probably going to sink the pot in the ground and overwinter in a greenhouse as it has got pretty cold over the past 2 or 3 years)