Here we go again Floods 3rd Jan 2014

jungle jas

Re: Here we go again Floods 3rd Jan 2014

Post by jungle jas »

Greville, they don't normally have salt spray on them , as being up an estuary the water does not get too choppy, but it did on Friday with large waves, hence my concern. Being just a few feet away from the water I suspect there is always a certain amount of salt in the air. This does not affect Trachys as some have been along the sea wall for years but i'm not sure about the 2 Jubs as they have only been planted out for the last two years, I haven't seen any adverse reactions so far. icon_thumright
Dave in Warrington

Post by Dave in Warrington »

And Again :roll:

The met office have posted another warning at 1044 on Sun 5 Jan 2014 for Tomorrow, Monday 6th Jan, for Wind but note the references to large waves on high tides !

Please take a look http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/ icon_salut
multim

Post by multim »

I must admit that I am enjoying this mild weather for the sake of my plants HOWEVER, I also admit to being fagged-off with the Thames in flood making walking along the river now impossible and all the country walks on higher ground, thick with mud and water. It is supposed to become somewhat drier from midweek but remaining mild. I do hope so for the sake of those who are suffering the continuing foul weather around the coasts.
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

I feel bad for the folks that have been flooded but I am also relieved that its so mild.This must be the mildest winter on record around me. All treeferns still have their green fronds which is amazing and the fleece hasnt been used at all yet on my humis bamboos etc :)
Lets hope it stays mild and stops raining soon
derrick

Post by derrick »

Been down to Plymouth today . But noticed lots of flooding on the way back in Dorset . Some houses being pumped and some closed off roads .The river Stour in Wimborne is across some fields .Some of the animals have been moved to higher ground . I went to romsey and they also have flooded homes not nice.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Just around the headland from me is Porthcawl beach.

Surf's up............... :lol: :lol:

Nice to see the locals still enjoying a '99 with flake and strawberry sauce . :lol: :lol:
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (6.36 KiB) Viewed 930 times
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Every night recently, when looking at the news I am appalled at the extent of the flooding down south and I am told the rivers are still rising! The worst weather I have ever seen was when I was working in Boscastle a few years ago when whole houses were washed away. Indeed my partners car was washed down the road. :ahhh!: She was rescued by a man on a Range Rover which got stranded, then by a guy on a tractor. :roll: The latested floods remind me you cant beat nature. I am pleased I live on an estuary and not a river with restricted flow. At least on an estuary you have one unrestricted end which drains away more quickly. Has anyone on the forum been flooded or have we all been lucky enough to escape. icon_thumright
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Halfway up a hill 300 feet above sea level, I tend to escape flooding. However, I have seen many a torrent from a deluge of rain gushing down the hill towards a basin where it can collect if the drains can't handle the volume of water.

The school where I overwinter a lot of my plants is here and earlier this week much of the lower playground was under nearly a foot of water. The road outside has a 'dip' and around two feet of water had collected here. I had to turn the car round and go to the school by another route. Ironic, as I was going there to water the plants that last had a drink the week before Christmas!