Would you buy a 8ft Cordyline for 50 pounds

Panama Pete

Would you buy a 8ft Cordyline for 50 pounds

Post by Panama Pete »

this is reduced from 250 pounds. Its a Cordyline and is flowering. Just one thing the trunk is peeling off about 35 cm from the leaves. Its wet but trunk is hard underneath.Is it going to be a gonner or worth a gamble. Pic is a bit poor. I was worried the trunk may be frosted.
Attachments
DSC_0120-2095189274.jpg
flounder

Re: Would you buy a 8ft Cordyline for 50 pounds

Post by flounder »

In answer to the title, no not a chance.....but down here they grow like weeds and are fast enough to put on height that I wouldn't dream of paying money for them! :wink:
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

No way. £50 can buy a lot of reduced stuff right now in the GC/DIY .
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

I thought that was cheap for 8ft.
pdid

Post by pdid »

I think it's a good price for the size as long as it's not recently dug up. They don't transplant well.

The trunk looks fine from what I can see of the picture, it's just some of the old leaf bases coming away which is natural.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

They do grow quick but £50 is still cheap.
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

Pete,
If you want an 8ft Cordy without the wait for a small one to grow then its not a bad price, we've not had a bad winter so far so it shouldn't be frost damaged.
If its from a GC then they should have a returns policy, even for a reduced price plant, but make sure you check to see what the terms are before parting with your cash.
A flowering plant will usually branch after flowering so with luck you will have a muti headed 8ft plus plant by this time next year.
It is probably worth removing the flower spike too as these are prone to rot/ fungal infection at this time of the year

Steve
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

No way. I bought a youngster for 3 quid 2011 and its now 8 feet tall.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

If it's a potted one, not dug-up, and looks good, and you're looking for a specimen plant to put in a specific part of your garden, then go for it, £50 is not a bad price, you could easily spend more on a night out.

The peeling down the trunk is just remains of the old leaves where they've been cut, they'll drop off naturally soon.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I think its a good buy, but don't understand the trunk problem icon_thumleft
gabriel

Post by gabriel »

If it's potted maybe. If not don't waste your money. They don't transplant well.
kohwoz

Post by kohwoz »

Yes. Why not? Like someone said, you'd spend more than that on a night out or at the supermarket.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I think its a steal at £50 pete to be honest. An 8ft one from seagraves will cost you £175. As long as it isn't dug up then get it before some else does but if its in a GC then i can't see them digging up cordylines they would just keep them potted and move in to storage when needed. I think you have a real bargain there. Just ask them questions on it before you buy it. See how settled it is in the pot if its loose then you know its been dug up.
As for transplanting I see a while ago tips on that, and they said to dig a hole and to put the whole pot inside the hole then back fill the hole and in time the roots will work its way out of the pot and into the ground soil and in some cases depending on that plant it will break through the pot on its own. I thought that was a pretty good tip really.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

The mark on the trunk looks to be just where the old leaf bases haven't been removed.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I paid £60 for 2 6 footers a couple of years ago, now they are 8 footers.

That said, I still think that price is reasonable.