Anybody checked their Dicksonia Antartica's recently

sanatic1234

Re: Anybody checked their Dicksonia Antartica's recently

Post by sanatic1234 »

I don't want to start a protection hot topic again but bordersboy would it not be worth just keeping the fleece out whilst there is all this rain and then pop it back inside the crown once the rain has stopped? You will just end up getting the dry fleece wet again, we have a couple more storms that will no doubt hit the uk bringing plenty of the same wind and rain. So frost i should think will probably be kept at bay?

I was getting leaves in my crowns from the neighbors birch tree, glad it has stopped now. Only thing i am getting now is conifers shedding some of last years growth and no doubt the wind helping there a bit as well.
Attachments
phpQ1Q0YtAM.jpg
phpQ1Q0YtAM.jpg (41.12 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

None of mine are protected no need so far. Even my cyathea are exposed to the elements.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Tom2006 wrote:None of mine are protected no need so far. Even my cyathea are exposed to the elements.
Leaving Cyatheas sounds a little risky, saying that my heater isn't on at the moment.
robbie44

Post by robbie44 »

Keep mine fleeced balled all winter for the last 10 years only lost one , that was in 2010.Last year had 4 inches of snow around end of February , so still along way to go yet.Will keep my protection on till at least end of march, find it does no harm fronds are still green
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

fern Rob wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:None of mine are protected no need so far. Even my cyathea are exposed to the elements.
Leaving Cyatheas sounds a little risky, saying that my heater isn't on at the moment.
About to cover as going to dip to 0c tonight.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Be my second frost in a row after tonight. Not bothering with fleece though as it won't last for long due to rain moving in. :) :-)
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Snow forecasted :(
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

If you are going to use leaves it is best to use those that don't rot down to a 'goo'. Eucalyptus breaks down to a fine gritty consistency rather than slime.I don't use leaves now as I found one year the Blackbirds were pulling them out and I lost a whole set of knuckles to hard frost, finding the leaves on the ground beside it :( However, they are tougher than people think. I get the impression that Dec 2010 has introduced a certain amount of paranoia about hardiness.

One of my Dicksonia antarctica, 'DannyBoy' always loses it's fronds, except this winter so far, and is extremely yellowy. I think it has some sort of nutrient deficiency, which has reduced the hardiness of the fronds, but the plant itself just soldiers on.

Here it is in March 2013 and May 2013. March saw snow arriving on the 12th with temps down to -4.9C with 40mph NE Winds. Windchill reached a staggering -12.7C, and the average low for the month was -0.1C :ahhh!: It didn't bat an eyelid and was just delayed into growth by 3 weeks.
Attachments
2013-05-07-20-11-2 DA DannyBoy Spring.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Tom2006 »

I agree they are tougher than people think. However losing five in 2010 despite extensive protection caused my paranoia.that said I remember the good winters so like this one I haven't wrapped anything apart from one planted basjoo. Everything else just gets covered if needed.
kata

Post by kata »

Is a cloche ok for the Ferns?

icon_sunny
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Interesting about your tree fern dave and the fronds being extremely yellowy. My tree ferns fronds are not as green as they was now and have a little show of yellowing to them not a lot but is more noticeable when up close and tiny bits of brown on top. I am guessing this was from the few hard frosts I have had? Although I don't know for certain as this is the first time I have managed to keep my fronds without them turning brown.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

kata wrote:Is a cloche ok for the Ferns?

icon_sunny
Yes would be perfect as traps any heat coming up from the ground. You can also place bottles of hot water under the cloche if very deep cold.
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Uncovered my smaller ones this weekend.Removed the now damp straw,dried out fleece,gave them some water and added a scoop of seaweed to the crown. Replaced with new straw,fleece ball and plant pots on top to protect from the rain. I found one I`d forgotten about that had been left unprotected but was fine as it was sheltered by the others.

No knuckles yet.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

seaweed feed should fix the frond colour or a high nitrogen feed both work for me.