My fruiting olive tree

L33ETH1

My fruiting olive tree

Post by L33ETH1 »

Hi, not sure an olive can be classed as en exotic, you'll have to enlighten me but I've seen them for sale on exotic plant websites...

Anyway, here's some pictures of mine, taken today in mid Jan, still bearing fruit, albeit very small olives.

Does anyone know if they'll survive and get bigger?
L33ETH1

Re: My fruiting olive tree

Post by L33ETH1 »

Ok so I can't seem to post any pictures in this thread! :-(
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Yep, definitely an exotic. I doubt the fruit will get any larger now though - that needs hot summers :roll:

Try again with those pics! You may need to reduce the size of them?
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Conifers wrote:I doubt the fruit will get any larger now though
I agree - any left on mine at this time of the year gradually shrivel up, harden and drop off. You ought to be pretty proud to have fruit at all on your olive all the way up there! I got a jam jar's worth of fruit off mine this year - they are soaked and brined and I'll be trying them soon ...... not exactly the hugest olives in the world, but exciting all the same!
L33ETH1

Post by L33ETH1 »

That's really promising news that you've managed to harvest yours. Mines trained as a standard (still can't post pictures in this thread). It was literally covered on blossom early in the year and must still have a few hundred tiny little olives.

I'm surprised they haven't just fallen off the stems but they're still stuck on pretty well.

Hopefully it'll fruit again next year
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

My olives will flower and fruit but they don't get to a eatable size.
L33ETH1

Post by L33ETH1 »

fern Rob wrote:My olives will flower and fruit but they don't get to a eatable size.
I'm suspecting mine will be the same rob
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Indoor south facing window standard olives produced loads of flowers which didnt pollinate so 100% blossom drop.
Outdoor small plants had less flowers but produced small fruits ans some are still on the plants today in the conservatory.I was surprised at this as I live in an area thats got shadow issues icon_rambo