Dicksonia antarctica protection survey

How do you protect your Dicksonia antarctica for/in winter

Ball of fleece in crown in conjunction with below.
35%
Cut off fronds and wrap all winter,regardless.
3%
Cut off fronds and wrap only when freezes forecast.
No votes
Cut off fronds and drape (cover) all winter, regardless.
No votes
Cut off fronds and drape (cover) only when freezes forecast.
No votes
Leave fronds on, gathered up. and wrap all winter, regardless.
9%
Leave fronds on, gathered up, and wrap only when freezes forecast.
3%
Leave fronds on and drape (cover) all winter, regardless.
6%
Leave fronds on and drape (cover) only when freezes forecast.
18%
Don't do anything
6%
Wing it, deciding what to do as the winter unfolds
21%

Total votes: 34

fern Rob

Dicksonia antarctica protection survey

Post by fern Rob »

Just a tree fern protection survey. Only for Dicksonia antarctica.
Last edited by fern Rob on Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Tree fern protection survey

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I can't see the point of this survey as it depends mainly on where you live?
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

...and when you protect.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I think we did all this a couple of weeks ago didn't we when there was a big debate on how you protect, when you protect it, If it should still be protected when its mild in winter, if it should still be mummified when extremes don't threaten and so on, so i think your answers lie in the last topic fern rob to be honest. Wouldn't you agree :?:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:I can't see the point of this survey as it depends mainly on where you live?
Exactly and what kind of winter you are having i would say to.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

sanatic1234 wrote:I think we did all this a couple of weeks ago didn't we when there was a big debate on how you protect, when you protect it, If it should still be protected when its mild in winter, if it should still be mummified when extremes don't threaten and so on, so i think your answers lie in the last topic fern rob to be honest. Wouldn't you agree :?:
Disagree.
Should I re-word the question as, do you mummify your tree ferns through winter in general?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

you have just picked out a certain section of what i said though fernrob. I said I think we did all this a couple of weeks ago didn't we when there was a big debate on how you protect, when you protect it, If it should still be protected when its mild in winter, if it should still be mummified when extremes don't threaten and so on, so i think your answers lie in the last topic fern rob to be honest. Wouldn't you agree

I did not just aim it at tree ferns being mummified.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Like I said before I Disagree !

The last debate was between a few of us, this is not a debate its getting a idea of how many people protect there tree ferns all winter, a lot more people than the few who where debating have tree ferns in there collections wouldn't you agree?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Disagree as much as you like i know it wasn't aimed at ferns being mummified if it was i would of put that and I think if you check the post it was more than a few, which a few normally means (3) people. There was more than 3 people involved.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

sanatic1234 wrote:Disagree as much as you like i know it wasn't aimed at ferns being mummified if it was i would of put that and I think if you check the post it was more than a few, which a few normally means (3) people. There was more than 3 people involved.
A few doesn't necessarily mean 3 it can be more! I was not referring to your topic at all, I never said the topic was based on mummifying tree ferns in winter, I'm interested in how many people protect there tree ferns through the whole of winter. My tree ferns are in exceptionally good condition with deep large green fronds, I'm going to promote the method I use when I can see it works, why risk loss due to a cold spell.
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Well normally I employ some sort of protection to my tree ferns but so far this year I've protected nothing as the weather has been so mild. I'm a little bewildered by the measures that some members (who live in milder areas than I do) have already taken, but that is of course a matter of personal choice.

If and when some proper winter temps are forecast I'll react accordingly - but how do I vote at this moment in time?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Mick C wrote:Well normally I employ some sort of protection to my tree ferns but so far this year I've protected nothing as the weather has been so mild. I'm a little bewildered by the measures that some members (who live in milder areas than I do) have already taken, but that is of course a matter of personal choice.

If and when some proper winter temps are forecast I'll react accordingly - but how do I vote at this moment in time?
Going on what you would generally do when it comes to Dicksonia antarctica and winter. icon_thumleft
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

fern Rob wrote: Going on what you would generally do when it comes to Dicksonia antarctica and winter. icon_thumleft
Got it. Done. icon_thumleft
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

The mummified bit you only mentioned once i posted my comment so yes in a way you are referring it to that as you replied to the comment i made straight after. All i will say is my tree ferns are in exceptionally good condition to, unprotected, only protected when required like sub zero temps. You say about cold spells being a possibility well it is what the weather forecasts/reports are for? Keep up to date with those like 3 - 4 day reports and you can't go wrong really long range is the ones that are unpredictable and nearly always wrong. Every plant should try to be as natural as possible if weather allows. BUT i really am not going into a debate. We had that a round 2 weeks ago.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Your post wasn't all about protecting tree ferns, this post as a different meaning, I'm trying to find out how many people protect there Dicksonia antarctica !