Yucca Rostrata problem?

phatplants

Yucca Rostrata problem?

Post by phatplants »

Following all the rain recently, I've noticed a darkened patch on the stem of my Yucca Rostrata. it is right at the base close to the 'foot' It also feels damp and a bit spongy when pressed. The stem is approx 3 foot in height and planted into a border with palms. The rest of the stem including the back remain firm and a healthy colour. Should I be concerned? and is there anything I can do if it is a problem?

Regards, neil.
sanatic1234

Re: Yucca Rostrata problem?

Post by sanatic1234 »

could you make a rain shelter for it so it possibly has a chance of drying out a little bit?
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

I should not worry too much about the damp while temperatures are currently mild. Where possible I always buy Yuccas with skirts which give some protection against wet and also cold. I too have issues with wet which causes the dead leaves to go dark. My Rostrata has a roof over it to protect the head from rot although it really does not protect the stem from driving horizontal rain.
phatplants

Post by phatplants »

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated. After giving the stem a good 'squeeze' today, it seems very solid, with just the outer part a bit soggy and wet. Weather forecast for the South East tomorrow is rain, rain and more rain! So I've surrounded the bottom half of the stem in clear plastic lids from storage boxes, to deflect most of the wet. Hopefully this will help give the stem a chance to dry out a bit.
multim

Post by multim »

This is quite normal due to the amount of rain. You also will notice some leaf spotting, also due to the on-going damp conditions. My Rostrata is too tall to cover so it has to put-up with the weather but an overhead cover will help greatly if it's easy to apply.