Visit to Brazil

Nigel

Re: Visit to Brazil

Post by Nigel »

Adam, Albertos place is in the mountains , he gets to around -5C with proper winters. In some places it can be -10C or more and it even snowed there this winter. I think the fact that they have defined seasons , and that it always gets cool at night, even in summer allows them to grow these plants. It is midsummer now , and it was really quite cool for me to sit out on an evening , I managed to do it in shirtsleeves with some discomfort, having to pretend us tough north europeans dont feel cold, but the other guests from Florianopolis were literally shivering in thick coats.

Sanatic, no, I wasnt near the amazon, its too hot for me. The atlantic rainforest though is pretty interesting, I wish I could get my hands on some Dicksonia sellowiana , where there is land clearance they burn them because they are prohibitied for export.

Panama pete, nope you cant beat south america, I adore it. After eating in Brazil for 2 weeks I was reminded of how atrocious our restaurants and food are here.

All I can say is that Brazil is a fantastic country. I dont know the amazon, but anybody that wants to make a trip to the south would be amazed and fall in love with the country. Once you get past the horrors of Sao Paulo airport and get out of the big cities into the countryside you find something quite wonderful.
David York

Post by David York »

Nigel wrote:I visited the site of Butia sp florianopolis when I was in Brazil. Took some new pics as I lost my others.
Of all the Butias i have visited in various habitats, this for me is still the most beautiful and commercial of all of them.
I agree, this is a stunning Butia and still unclassified it appears. Nigel, might I suggest Butia kembreyi? Sounds good?
Vulneratus Non Victus - Wounded But Never Beaten
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Yes the Amazon is hot and steamy, I think the humidity plays a big part in the thermal discomfort, as well as the fact you're in the wild and can't get any air conditioning, there is no breeze, you can't take a proper shower and the bugs can be nasty at times. I was in the jungle completely off-grid for 2 weeks, it would get dark at 5:30pm and the only light was candles and LED head lamps. No showers, but there was a river.
You need to let go of your attachment to comfort and cleanliness, accept the fact you'll always be sweaty, smelly and dirty while you're in the Amazon. But it's an experience like nothing else.

The nights were pleasantly cool at around 20C.

Coastal Brazil or Central America close to the equator or in the summer can feel the same (with warmer nights though, due to the water mass), but it's more civilized and it's easier to get a breeze.
rburrena

Post by rburrena »

Butia x parajubaeas
Stunning! Is there a more beautiful palm? I want one!!

Any chance of getting one?

Thanks very much for sharing. Really enjoyed your post :)
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I have tried to cross Butia with Parajubaea with no success. Only 1 person seems able to do it.

Otorongo, i know what you mean , I love the wilds of Brazil , give me the real Brazil over the beach any day.
I spent almost my entire 2 weeks in the middle of nowhere. The bugs are indeed a pain, but a bottle of repellent goes a long way.

Mind you, one good thing about the beach is the seafront restaurant in Campeche where I lived for a while, had to go back and pay a visit for the prawns.
Attachments
beach.jpg
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I stayed at a nursery in middle of nowhere that is primarily a producer of Buxus sempervirens , millions every year.
the owner likes to dabble with cold hardy palms too which is nice.
Attachments
mountains.jpg
moreb.jpg
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I'd go just for the prawn's nigel. karl.
derrick

Post by derrick »

I would love to visit Brazil for the different cultures food and scenery .The Butia do look great .But for me it is the reptiles Anacondas Green Iguanas and Caimans and don't forget the Venomous snakes .Every place I go on holiday I go hunting .Is the language a problem Nigel I think I'ts Portuguese .
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

derrick wrote:I would love to visit Brazil for the different cultures food and scenery .The Butia do look great .But for me it is the reptiles Anacondas Green Iguanas and Caimans and don't forget the Venomous snakes .Every place I go on holiday I go hunting .Is the language a problem Nigel I think I'ts Portuguese .
Derrick, the first time i went to Brazil , NOBODY spoke english. In almost every country people speak english as a second language, for me this was fabulous , a country where nobody panders to tourism. For this same reason the country is not ruined by tourism , you go to Brazil and you find the real Brazil, not some plastic brazil served up for tourists.
You will enjoy trying to communicate as much as you will enjoy the food, the culture , the scenery and everything else.
After 4 years I can speak portuguese , but its still very difficult for me, not an easy language to learn.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Cracking pics! Bet you miss the heat icon_scratch
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Nigel wrote:I stayed at a nursery in middle of nowhere that is primarily a producer of Buxus sempervirens , millions every year.
Buxus, in Brasil they plant them even under coconut palms. Funny! But why the heck they use boring Buxus sempervirens when they have such beutifull native flora there...

Alexander
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Alexander wrote:
Nigel wrote:I stayed at a nursery in middle of nowhere that is primarily a producer of Buxus sempervirens , millions every year.
Buxus, in Brasil they plant them even under coconut palms. Funny! But why the heck they use boring Buxus sempervirens when they have such beutifull native flora there...

Alexander
For same reason we plant palm trees !!
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Looks like a great visit!...cracking palms and those prawns look very tasty!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Nigel wrote:
Alexander wrote:

Alexander
For same reason we plant palm trees !!
Well palmtrees is a bit differend I would say...

Alexander
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Alexander wrote:
Well palmtrees is a bit differend I would say...

Alexander
Not really, they dont have conifers, in Florianopolis they will pay a fortune for an ugly and half dead conifer struggling to live through a hot humid summer , to me its insane. Buxus at least seems to survive the heat
We want palm trees, they want conifers.