Mexican Yucca

piechnik99

Mexican Yucca

Post by piechnik99 »

After being inspired over the weekend to have another poke through B&Q reduced plant section, I popped in tonight and noticed the above plant reduced from a £10 to £4.98 (I'm sure I could haggle further with the predicted cold snap due!)

Anyway, has anyone got any experience in growing this plant? Is it hardy? I was thinking of growing in a pot on the patio and overwintering in a greenhouse - but again not sure. Had nice big fleshy leaves - not sure if this is a good think regarding hardyness!

Are these plants also known as a 'Mexican cabbage palm' or something similar?? I'm sure I've seen a taller similar looking plant (scurries off to check one of the gardening books.....) icon_scratch

Appreciate your help! icon_salut
Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: Mexican Yucca

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

piechnik99 wrote:
Anyway, has anyone got any experience in growing this plant? Is it hardy?

Are these plants also known as a 'Mexican cabbage palm' or something similar??
Do you mean Beschorneria by any chance ? If so, i started with one a couple of years ago and now have quite a few, they pup quite easily. During a frost they will drop / lower their leaves but they soon perk up again when the day temp rises. At most i've only ever put a fleece bag on them and that was for the "Narnia " 2010 winter. One of my favourite plants and a stunning bluey colour as well

A couple of pics of some of mine.........................

piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote: Do you mean Beschorneria by any chance ? If so, i started with one a couple of years ago and now have quite a few, they pup like crazy. During a frost they will drop / lower their leaves but they soon perk up again when the day temp rises. At most i've only ever put a fleece bag on them and that was for the "Narnia " 2010 winter. One of my favourite plants and a stunning bluey colour as well
Looking good - decent coloured stand our foliage! I think your photos have sold it!

You did well with just a fleece bag over that 2010 winter - so thery're hardy than I thought icon_thumleft

Like I mentioned I was planning to grow in a pot (due to a mixture of heavy clay and 250 metres above sea level garden!) so I take it a good free draining mix would be best?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

piechnik99 wrote:
Arlon Tishmarsh wrote: Do you mean Beschorneria by any chance ? If so, i started with one a couple of years ago and now have quite a few, they pup like crazy. During a frost they will drop / lower their leaves but they soon perk up again when the day temp rises. At most i've only ever put a fleece bag on them and that was for the "Narnia " 2010 winter. One of my favourite plants and a stunning bluey colour as well
Looking good - decent coloured stand our foliage! I think your photos have sold it!

You did well with just a fleece bag over that 2010 winter - so thery're hardy than I thought icon_thumleft

Like I mentioned I was planning to grow in a pot (due to a mixture of heavy clay and 250 metres above sea level garden!) so I take it a good free draining mix would be best?

Most peoples died in 2010 or pupped the following year so not nailed on Hardy. Arlon is in tropical Wales. :)

Probably Cordyline hardy.
piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Probably Cordyline hardy.
Makes sense! icon_thumleft
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

I have four species of Beschorneria.... strange plants, my most tender Beschorneria Albiflora is sending up a flower shoot in January of all months :?
IMG_2085.JPG
IMG_2084.JPG
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

piechnik99 wrote:so I take it a good free draining mix would be best?
Definitely........... icon_thumleft
Andy Martin wrote:my most tender Beschorneria Albiflora is sending up a flower shoot in January of all months :?
Very nice plant Andy