Victoria amazonica

Troppoz

Victoria amazonica

Post by Troppoz »

Ive always been intrigued by this impressive waterlilly, only ever seen it once at the Adelaide Botanic Gardens in their tropical atrium. Never thought Id be growing it but I had the fortune of obtaining some seed from Thailand and have had 2 germinate so far icon_cheers

I found them on Ebay and checked with the Customs mob if they were fine to import into Australia (YES!) so I ordered 10 seed for only a few dollars. I read up on germination techniques (http://www.victoria-adventure.org/victo ... tion1.html) and the strong advice was that the seeds were to remain wet at all times, but by the time the seeds arrived the tissue paper that they were wrapped in was bone dry, as were the seeds. I tried them after nicking the seed coat as prescribed but they went mouldy within a couple of days.

I contacted the Ebayer, who was very helpful (very Thai icon_thumleft ) and sent me a replacement package, which was then confiscated by Customs :roll: They claimed the parcel was contaminated with insect larvae and destroyed them icon_thumbdown I messaged the seller out of courtesy and he kindly offered to send a 3rd lot, and wouldnt you know it the third times the charm icon_thumright

I treated 5 of the seed by nicking them at the "dimple" on the end and left them sitting in a glass of water that was changed twice daily, 3 went mouldy but 2 have just sent out a fine white filament that is the first root. So most excited! icon_cheers I took a couple of pictures to share but they are nothing but a blur, so Ill post pictures once a leaf has emerged. Ive still got 5 sitting in a jar of water waiting to be treated but Ill deal with those once these ones are happily growing on their way...

Question now is where do I grow them?? :shock:
Attachments
HPIM4401(a).jpg
otorongo

Re: Victoria amazonica

Post by otorongo »

I've seen those in Iquitos, Peru, in the Belen district with floating houses on the river.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

otorongo wrote:I've seen those in Iquitos, Peru, in the Belen district with floating houses on the river.
Now that would be a sight! Believe it or not thats on my to do list, see these plants in the wild on a canoe on the Amazon. :mrgreen:
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

The lilies in Iquitos:

And the surrounding neighbourhood:

RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Wow, fascinating pics from Peru!
chrismc

Post by chrismc »

otorongo wrote:I've seen those in Iquitos, Peru, in the Belen district with floating houses on the river.
I have to say right here right now I'm jealous. No only do i love tropical plants but i love my tropical fish and Iquitos is amazon fish export central ! id die to see that (am i right in thinking that Otorongo is a type of stingray ?)
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Thanks guys.
chrismc wrote:id die to see that (am i right in thinking that Otorongo is a type of stingray ?)
Otorongo is jaguar in Amazonian Quechua.

I've posted a few more pics in a new thread so as not to steal this one:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21902
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Troppoz wrote:Ive always been intrigued by this impressive waterlilly, only ever seen it once at the Adelaide Botanic Gardens in their tropical atrium. Never thought Id be growing it but I had the fortune of obtaining some seed from Thailand and have had 2 germinate so far icon_cheers

I found them on Ebay and checked with the Customs mob if they were fine to import into Australia (YES!) so I ordered 10 seed for only a few dollars. I read up on germination techniques (http://www.victoria-adventure.org/victo ... tion1.html) and the strong advice was that the seeds were to remain wet at all times, but by the time the seeds arrived the tissue paper that they were wrapped in was bone dry, as were the seeds. I tried them after nicking the seed coat as prescribed but they went mouldy within a couple of days.

I contacted the Ebayer, who was very helpful (very Thai icon_thumleft ) and sent me a replacement package, which was then confiscated by Customs :roll: They claimed the parcel was contaminated with insect larvae and destroyed them icon_thumbdown I messaged the seller out of courtesy and he kindly offered to send a 3rd lot, and wouldnt you know it the third times the charm icon_thumright

I treated 5 of the seed by nicking them at the "dimple" on the end and left them sitting in a glass of water that was changed twice daily, 3 went mouldy but 2 have just sent out a fine white filament that is the first root. So most excited! icon_cheers I took a couple of pictures to share but they are nothing but a blur, so Ill post pictures once a leaf has emerged. Ive still got 5 sitting in a jar of water waiting to be treated but Ill deal with those once these ones are happily growing on their way...

Question now is where do I grow them?? :shock:
In a large pond.

Alexander
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Great photos Otorongo! One day... In the meantime I have my own plants to enjoy :DD Seeds are growing every day and soon the first leaves will emerge, thats when they are at their most vulnerable apparently...
Alexander wrote: In a large pond.

Alexander
Not necessarily as I have discovered icon_thumright
Attachments
victoria_bathtub_3.jpg
victoria_bathtub_3.jpg (59.23 KiB) Viewed 1866 times
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Troppoz wrote:Great photos Otorongo! One day... In the meantime I have my own plants to enjoy :DD Seeds are growing every day and soon the first leaves will emerge, thats when they are at their most vulnerable apparently...
Alexander wrote: In a large pond.

Alexander
Not necessarily as I have discovered icon_thumright
Well a larger pond will be better.

Alexander
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

So would a larger garden, but thats not going to happen either.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Just glad duckweed doesn't get that big :shock:
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

In the Rotterdam zoo they always have once a year a day that all parents can come with there little child to make unique pictures...