How would you design your garden in a tropical climate?

Tom2006
Posts: 8094
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Location: East Yorkshire UK

Re: How would you design your garden in a tropical climate?

Post by Tom2006 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:46 pm

Lots of tropical fruit. Bananas and all yhe tender palms and tree ferns that stand no chance in this country.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.

otorongo
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:12 pm
Location: sub-subtropical London

Re: How would you design your garden in a tropical climate?

Post by otorongo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:59 pm

All great suggestions!
callin wrote:Come on Otorongo...be honest with us..did you win big at the lottery, or not..? or a distant rich aunt passed away and left you heritage :wink: icon_thumright. Your secret will be safe with us 8) .
I'm considering buying a small plot of land, very affordable, don't want to reveal too much at this stage as it may not happen at all :wink:

flounder

Re: How would you design your garden in a tropical climate?

Post by flounder » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:11 pm

otorongo wrote:All great suggestions!
callin wrote:Come on Otorongo...be honest with us..did you win big at the lottery, or not..? or a distant rich aunt passed away and left you heritage :wink: icon_thumright. Your secret will be safe with us 8) .
I'm considering buying a small plot of land, very affordable, don't want to reveal too much at this stage as it may not happen at all :wink:
This sounds like a holiday rental opportunity....dibs! :wink:

Tom2006
Posts: 8094
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Location: East Yorkshire UK

Re: How would you design your garden in a tropical climate?

Post by Tom2006 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:41 pm

flounder wrote:
otorongo wrote:All great suggestions!
callin wrote:Come on Otorongo...be honest with us..did you win big at the lottery, or not..? or a distant rich aunt passed away and left you heritage :wink: icon_thumright. Your secret will be safe with us 8) .
I'm considering buying a small plot of land, very affordable, don't want to reveal too much at this stage as it may not happen at all :wink:
This sounds like a holiday rental opportunity....dibs! :wink:
I was thinking the same..... icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.

PaulPlants

Re: How would you design your garden in a tropical climate?

Post by PaulPlants » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:51 pm

When I lived in a tropical climate I wanted to grow English plants, herbs... And lots of pineapples! Everything was already tropical so no need to 'try' and create!

otorongo
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:12 pm
Location: sub-subtropical London

Re: How would you design your garden in a tropical climate?

Post by otorongo » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:41 pm

PaulPlants wrote:When I lived in a tropical climate I wanted to grow English plants, herbs... And lots of pineapples! Everything was already tropical so no need to 'try' and create!
That was my thought too... I wonder if I could grow blueberries, my biggest addiction :lol:

greendragon

Re: How would you design your garden in a tropical climate?

Post by greendragon » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:43 pm

Swimming pool surrounded by CIDPs and Cycads.

User avatar
Las Palmas Norte
Posts: 1892
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Lantzville, British Columbia (Vancouver Island)

Re: How would you design your garden in a tropical climate?

Post by Las Palmas Norte » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:12 am

Something alone these lines I'd wager.

Cheers, Barrie.
Attachments
Design.jpg

otorongo
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:12 pm
Location: sub-subtropical London

Re: How would you design your garden in a tropical climate?

Post by otorongo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:21 am

greendragon wrote:Swimming pool surrounded by CIDPs and Cycads.
In a *tropical* climate, not in London ;)

Exotic Life

Re: How would you design your garden in a tropical climate?

Post by Exotic Life » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:51 pm

Have been to Singapore a few weeks ago, and now I do know for sure that I am going to move one time. My garden would be full of more tropical palms. A nice swimming pool to cool down sometimes, or having some cocktails next to it after a long day at the office with waving palms around me.

Sounds like a dream isn't ?

Troppoz

Re: How would you design your garden in a tropical climate?

Post by Troppoz » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:01 pm

Well Ive already got a tropical garden crammed with as many rare and spectacular tropical beauties as I can fit, so what more could I want?

Someone to take care of it all for me... :roll:

PaulPlants

Re: How would you design your garden in a tropical climate?

Post by PaulPlants » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:16 pm

The swimming pool looks great... But in a topical climate there are tropical insects too! I like a pool with a clear gap between water and planting. I don't fancy a Tarantula or giant cockroach joining me for a swim! I write this from Mexico right now where a giant tree frog made me jump out of my skin when I went to put the key in the door the other day.

fern Rob

Re: How would you design your garden in a tropical climate?

Post by fern Rob » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:05 am

the pool looks great with all the palms and the deck.

Post Reply