When to transplant potted bamboo to ground

samtobuk

When to transplant potted bamboo to ground

Post by samtobuk »

I have a number of potted bamboos that will be going into the garden this year to hopefully get things moving in terms of new clum generation. When would you guys recommend transferring them?

Would like to get them in as soon as it is sensible as some are fresh from the nursery and a little cramped (saved a couple of unhappy nigras). The others have had a couple of years in pot and are 7-8ft, but again want to make sure this year's growth is well fed!

Would putting them in the ground now be no worse than say in the pots they currently live in? Or would they be a bit shocked if I move them and then we get some frosts?

If it makes any difference, they are mostly Phyllostachys aurea and nigra (plus a vivax), a pseudosasa japonica and two smallish Fargesia asian wonder. Will no doubt add a couple more too if I can find a nice blue Borinda anywhere!! :)
Somerset77

Re: When to transplant potted bamboo to ground

Post by Somerset77 »

I had two potted ones (nigra and golden). Thought sod it and planted end of December as was piffed off keeping them up right in this damn wind! :lol:
They are still fine now! But then I have a very mild garden near to the sea, so can get away with a lot of things. Unlike with the wife! :lol: :lol:
It's upto you really as you know your garden and your weather extremes etc. If you do plant them then just mulch with some manure or compost just incase. icon_thumleft
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

Thanks, I am thinking they'll be fine but I don't want to set them back or risk killing them as they certainly aren't cheap!!

I have heard that mushroom compost/manure is a good medium to put them into, although the ones I planted last year in basic multi-purpose seemed pretty happy this year. Any recommedations?
Mixed moso

Post by Mixed moso »

It won't do them any harm to plant them out. Bamboo are always more vulnerable in pots than in the ground, though all of the species you mention are pretty tough. Have you got plenty of room for the vivax? It's a wanderer.
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

Ok, great. That gives me an excuse to digging the borders this month. Happy for the vivax to wander, got it from pan global where he had a huge grove of it with some monster thick culms! Would be happy to get anywhere near that over a few years.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I was only reading on bamboos a couple of days ago and it did say on one website that they can be planted all year round, if in winter provide a mulch. I am not expert on these just simply saying what i read on the website.