My New Pad

Nathan

My New Pad

Post by Nathan »

As some of you know I moved to Malta in December, for a number of reasons, not just the weather but that certainly is a big benefit :lol:

For those unfamiliar with Malta it is a tiny collection of islands (the combined area is 3/4 the size of the Isle of Wight) situated in the centre of the Mediterranean 93km south of Sicily & 288km north of Africa. The climate is sub-tropical Mediterranean, with hot dry summers & mild wet winters. Because of the small size the sea keeps the climate very mild in the winter, the record low in Valletta is 1.2C in 1859 & in more recent years the lowest temperature was 1.4C recorded at Luqa airport in 1981. The average highs & lows in the coldest month (Feb) are 16.0C/9.9C & in the warmest month (Aug) 31.8C/23.6C, with an annual average high & low of 23.2C/16.2C. The average annual absolute minimum is 6.1C, which puts Malta in USDA zone 11a, this is from a weather station inland & where I live is 500 yards from the seafront, so it doesn't get as cold as that here. Sunshine is very high with over 3000 hours recorded annually.

Because of the warm climate it is possible to grow many exotics here, including many tropical species. In my back garden I already have a few exotics planted, including a giant Alocasia macrorrhizos, lots of Cyperus alternifolius, a Yucca elephantipes, a small Schefflera arboricola & some Sanseveria trifasciata. In my front garden I have a small border that already had a small Crassula species planted in it & I have planted a small Poinsettia & 3 Dracaena marginata 'Tricolor'. Those are all that I have planted so far, but I did ship some small palms out here, including Jubutyagrus, Butyagrus, Rhopalostylis baueri, Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, Sabal burmudana & my home grown Cocos nucifera. The coconut didn't even get a chance to be trialed out here, as over a month in a box on a pallet, which appears to have gotten chilled, it arrived have dead & I don't think it will recover :(

Some of the plants commonly grown out here include Washingtonia robusta, which are everywhere (including outside my apartment block) Phoenix canariensis, Phoenix dactylifera, Syagrus romanzoffiana, Ficus elastica, Ficus benjamina, Ficus lyrata, Hibiscus rosa sinensis, Bougainvillea, Musa (edible banana), different types of Citrus, Strelitzia reginae, Strelitzia alba, Euphorbia pulcherrima (Poinsettia), Plumeria, Araucaria heterophylla & many different species of cacti & succulents. The most commonly seen & which have naturalised all over Malta are Agave americana & Opuntia's...

So here are a few photos, of my back & front gardens & some plants growing around the area where I live...
Attachments
Back garden
Back garden
Another view of Alocasia
Another view of Alocasia
Front garden border
Front garden border
Washingtonia outside my block
Washingtonia outside my block
Strelitzia alba outside my block
Strelitzia alba outside my block
Strelitzia reginae growing nearby
Strelitzia reginae growing nearby
Schleffera arboricola growing nearby
Schleffera arboricola growing nearby
Ficus lyrata growing nearby
Ficus lyrata growing nearby
Giant Euphorbia outside nearby hotel
Giant Euphorbia outside nearby hotel
Tree sized Hibiscus nearby
Tree sized Hibiscus nearby
Nathan

Re: My New Pad

Post by Nathan »

A few more pictures...
Attachments
Banana & Orange trees locally
Banana & Orange trees locally
Avenue of Washingtonia in town centre
Avenue of Washingtonia in town centre
Norfolk Island Pines
Norfolk Island Pines
Phoenix canariensis
Phoenix canariensis
Bougainvillea
Bougainvillea
Phoenix dactylifera at hotel on seafront
Phoenix dactylifera at hotel on seafront
Opuntia growing at side of a field
Opuntia growing at side of a field
Syagrus romanzoffiana
Syagrus romanzoffiana
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

Wow! So you'll be keeping us supplied with seeds and cuttings :mrgreen:
flounder

Post by flounder »

It's about time we had the collection of piccies. How come it took so long, has it taken nearly two months to get that grin off of your face? :wink:
edit
Oh yeah, agree with Jo :D
kata

Post by kata »

I'll settle for flower seeds... :lol: :lol:

It looks lovely and the pics are so amazing!! Thanks for sharing.

You must keep up with our climate on Skynews Nathan.

:mrgreen:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Fantastic pics, would view again A++++++++++++ :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sounds crazy but if I moved to a tropical clime, i'd just have to plant a waggy and fortune to remind me of home (see what I did there) any plans for a Trachycarpus drunken_smilie1
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

It took me a while to find the lead to download the photos to my laptop :lol:

Yes have been watching the UK news channels & been getting updates from fed up relatives about the crappy weather back home! Makes me even more glad to be out here icon_thumright

I don't think I will plant any Trachycarpus, there are some T. fortunei planted out here & they don't look very healthy, skinny trunks with a tuft of mostly brown leaves on top! Think I would rather plant a Ptychosperma elegans or a Dypsis decaryi, there is enough out here to remind me of home, Valletta has British phone & post boxes & there are Debenhams, Boots, M&S, Topshop, BHS, Peacocks, New Look, Next & more here too :lol:
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Cheers for sharing, Nathan.

Happy memories of a couple of hols at Mellieha many years ago . My last as a single man. Proposed shortly after icon_thumright

I must admit I was more won over by the lovely people there than the plants. However, I did recognise the nonflowering Bougainvillea I was trying to grow in my central London garden showing me how to do it all over Malta.
kata

Post by kata »

Oh I just bought one of those recently, got a new leaf too already,

It deviding very nicely now to the mature shape it will take...good choice Nathan.

There is another seedling in the pot, not sure if to remove or not.
d.decaryi2.jpg
This is what decided me to go ahead and buy it.
dypsis_decaryi.jpg
dypsis_decaryi.jpg (31.46 KiB) Viewed 1605 times
The shape is amazing.

icon_cheers
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Fantastic Nathan icon_thumright

Have you retired already, or have a job/running something out there.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nathan »

GREVILLE wrote:Cheers for sharing, Nathan.

Happy memories of a couple of hols at Mellieha many years ago . My last as a single man. Proposed shortly after icon_thumright

I must admit I was more won over by the lovely people there than the plants. However, I did recognise the nonflowering Bougainvillea I was trying to grow in my central London garden showing me how to do it all over Malta.
Yes we are not far from Mellieha, has the nicest beaches in Malta there icon_thumright

The people are very friendly out here & thankfully most speak English :lol:
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

kata wrote:Oh I just bought one of those recently, got a new leaf too already,

It deviding very nicely now to the mature shape it will take...good choice Nathan.

There is another seedling in the pot, not sure if to remove or not.
d.decaryi2.jpg
This is what decided me to go ahead and buy it.
dypsis_decaryi.jpg
The shape is amazing.

icon_cheers
A garden centre just up the road from me has 8ft tall Dypsis decaryi for 30 Euro! Unbelievable how cheap plants are out here icon_thumleft
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Dave Brown wrote:Fantastic Nathan icon_thumright

Have you retired already, or have a job/running something out there.
Unfortunately not but semi-retired hopefully :lol:
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Fantastic photos Nathan, looks a very good place to live, with a very good climate and lots of interesting exotics. I have been to Malta before of course but don't remember much about the plants there! :wink:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Very envious!!!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.