I'm Not Saying We've Had a Mild Winter but....

GoggleboxUK

I'm Not Saying We've Had a Mild Winter but....

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I was doing a bit of tidying today and whilst sweeping some autumn leaves from the path to my back gate I nudged a plantpot with the broom. Tucked up against a stone wall, beneath the overhanging Yucca leaves, I found this:

Last year I had Lillies budding up in late Feb but they'd been grown from bulbs on a South facing indoor windowsill.

In the front garden, in a hanging basket, last year's self seeded native fern still hasn't heen frosted off:

So far, winter 13/14 has been a protection free zone!

:DD
Deedee

Re: I'm Not Saying We've Had a Mild Winter but....

Post by Deedee »

Its great isn't it Gogs, My ferns are still green as well! Ive took the fleece off the Tfs this morning and gave them a watering, swept the decking and cut the grass, I also took the cover off the Table and chairs, I keep looking out the window :mrgreen:
Steph

Post by Steph »

Yes we've all been lucky so far, everything has had a good start - may even see some spectacular growth in the summer, fingers crossed.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

I hate the fact if I hadnt moved house my tree ferns would still be fully fronded and green. I cut them off to move them thinking they would be browned off soon anyway :evil:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Colocasia Pink China, gaoligongensis and Mammoth are in growth in the garden.

As is Hedychium greenii
2014-02-17 11-41-12 Hedychium greenii.jpg
and Thalia dealbata
2014-02-17 16-07-10 Pond Thalia dealbata.jpg
as are Podophyllum Spotty Dotty, At the same stage on 17th Feb 2014, as they were on 6th April 2013. Upper part of pic is 17th Feb 2014, and lower part 25th May 201.
Attachments
2014-02-17-13-22-34 Spotty Dotty.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GREVILLE »

Measured palm spears today from the tie I put on the last open leaf on each (except the too big Trach and Canary date) at the beginning of December. ALL have put on the biggest winter growth I've ever seen. Even the heat-loving Sabal and Brahea have not stopped moving.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

GREVILLE wrote:Measured palm spears today from the tie I put on the last open leaf on each (except the too big Trach and Canary date) at the beginning of December. ALL have put on the biggest winter growth I've ever seen. Even the heat-loving Sabal and Brahea have not stopped moving.
Same here with the Brahea, also had good movement on the Jubaea over winter too.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Its been a good year for plants temperature wise.
Camouflage

Post by Camouflage »

All of my Trachycarpus have active growing spears and some Boo’s are showing new culms.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Already been cutting bamboo back.
DAVIDEVANS

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

and one of my Dicksonia Antarcticas which almost died back in 2010 winter has just put out it's first crozier. That's quite a come back as it took until September 2011 to push out just one crozier see my original photos http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... =1&t=20395
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

Temperature-wise, it's spring in my garden. Everything is alive :)

The only thing I protected all winter was the crown of my tree fern, with a small ball of fleece, which is now removed. To tell the truth, my garden was due a mild winter after quite a few harsh ones. This winter my trachies have not stopped growing, the basjoo is slowly pushing out new rollers, the tree fern feels like it's ready to explode into life, hanging baskets still have the bedding plants from last summer alive in them! Also, the fish never once became dormant.

However, it's not been a good winter overall thanks to that hurricane force wind just before Xmas. I had to spend about 1k on replacing the fence and dwarf retaining wall on the left. Took me weeks to do due to the volume of concrete (footings went 1m down and were set into a concrete path and concrete retaining wall). Felt like I was out there every day with the kango and I now have a large pile of concrete to get rid of.

Still, the garden is looking very green and the recent days of sunshine have given me time to tidy up out there. The only slight worry is that my neighbour's black bamboo is now sending up shoots 1 foot into our garden. Only 2 so far, but will have to keep an eye on those.

Barring a few light frosts, 2011 was frost-free for me, so everything was very early that year. Also I enjoyed a warm and extremely dry spring that year (less than 5% of the typical rainfall during those 3 months). Perhaps 2014 will be another largely frost-free year. We'll see.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Lillies should not be evergreen, you know when it is you've got problems. All lily types need a resting period, if the lily above does not receive a resting period it will most likely die. Most lilies of course come from very cold winter areas of Asia so require a period of chilling (even freezing?) to stay healthy.
kata

Post by kata »

Strip the leaves of the Lillies --> bag -->then a spell in the fridge..that should suit them. :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I wonder would a five year old Nepalence Lily disapearing have anything to do with weather, we know 2010 would be good for them if they like a spell of cold weather?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

stephenprudence wrote:Lillies should not be evergreen, you know when it is you've got problems. All lily types need a resting period, if the lily above does not receive a resting period it will most likely die. Most lilies of course come from very cold winter areas of Asia so require a period of chilling (even freezing?) to stay healthy.
That's new growth Stephen, all my lillies died back and were trimmed in November, some I cut away as soon as the flowers die off.

The reason it looks like old growth is because it has grown and stretched due to where it was and then any wind has rubbed it against the face of a sandstone wall.