Planting ideas for a new border.

cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Planting ideas for a new border.

Post by cheshirepalms »

Hopefully by June I will have a new fence along the borderless side of my garden, which will allow new planting and ideas. I already have a few but would love know peoples opinions and suggestions, as I value all input from many gardening minds. The top of the border ( which is closest to the camera ) is the most shaded and damp side of my garden, it only gets sun in mid summer for a limited period and is in complete shade for 9 months I'd say. Part of the problem with regard to the drainage is water coming from next doors paved area, but the concrete base of the proposed fence should help this considerably. However it will still be the dampest area as its the only flat bit and still gets no sun. I'm thinking top to bottom of the border roughly, Fargesia murielae Bamboo, Fatsia, rhododendron, cycas, and then a Yucca Elephatipies (to be pampered). In between I'll use colocasias, alluims, daffoldils and hostas as seasonal interest inbetween things. I already have all of the main plants in pots that I've sourced cheap over the last 2 years waiting. I'll update this thread once things get under way, which touch wood should be late spring/early summer. I also have numerous Washingtonias which I separated from one pot 2 years ago, I need to plant at least one someone.
Attachments
march3.png
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Planting ideas for a new border.

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Practical question, what's the plan for the washing line?
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

If you've a problem with lack of sun and poor drainage, a Cycas, which would be a massive challenge at the best of times, is not going to work for you and would be far better off in a pot.
Also, the Yucca and Washingtonia, would be a no-no.
Any of the others should be happy there, unless completely submerged in water.
Don't know about the washing flapping against the fence though. :lol:
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Practical question, what's the plan for the washing line?
The washing line can be easily moved but to be honest I'd not given it much thought, and it doesn't get used very often. Probably just get rid of it completely.
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

Nigel Fear wrote:If you've a problem with lack of sun and poor drainage, a Cycas, which would be a massive challenge at the best of times, is not going to work for you and would be far better off in a pot.
Also, the Yucca and Washingtonia, would be a no-no.
Any of the others should be happy there, unless completely submerged in water.
Don't know about the washing flapping against the fence though. :lol:
Its only the bit at the very top which has the bad drainage, the other plants in question will be much further down the slope and its not wet at all once it starts to drop down after the washing line pole. I need to trial a washingtonia and have plenty to use.
ConcreteJungle

Post by ConcreteJungle »

Some bamboo screening for the right side to hide the two tier fence?
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

ConcreteJungle wrote:Some bamboo screening for the right side to hide the two tier fence?
There will be a new fence completely on my side of the small fence.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Loads of planting choice for such a big area.
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

Good news! The fence is being done on Thursday, which means I'm going to be 3 months ahead with plans for the border. I'm away all weekend but really want to get stuck in and create the planting area. I'll probably put off planting till after the cooler spell over the next week or so, got loads of bulbs I started off in pots in the greenhouse also to go in.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

cheshirepalms wrote:
ConcreteJungle wrote:Some bamboo screening for the right side to hide the two tier fence?

is the new fence going in front of the small fence losing garden space, or removing the small fence? icon_scratch

1. New fence paint it black
2. Get a retractable washing line (or have it as high as Arlons, out of sight out of mind - http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... =1&t=12532 )

3. Some Musa Basjoo a must especially once get some height on them, bamboo, few more palms, a gunnera for the damp spot icon_scratch
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

cordyman wrote:
cheshirepalms wrote:

is the new fence going in front of the small fence losing garden space, or removing the small fence? icon_scratch

1. New fence paint it black
2. Get a retractable washing line (or have it as high as Arlons, out of sight out of mind - http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... =1&t=12532 )

3. Some Musa Basjoo a must especially once get some height on them, bamboo, few more palms, a gunnera for the damp spot icon_scratch
Yes due to complications its going to have to go in front of the small the fence, but that’s better for me, trust me on that lol. I hadn't thought of putting basjoo in there, but I could collect some pups from the one I have, good idea cordy. I'm thinking a rhododendron or another fatsia for the damper, shady spot, my girlfriend hates gunnera, so that's not an option. However she hates bamboo too, but I ignored her on that one :lol:
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Try to get the new fence as close to the old fence as you can, My neighbours son left an 18" gap between ours which is full of weeds, bindweed being the most prolific, as we have reed screening, guess who has to clear it grrrrr. so i clear a foot and a half in width and about 30ft in length all through spring/summer. I could scream as its there land :evil:
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

Deedee wrote:Try to get the new fence as close to the old fence as you can, My neighbours son left an 18" gap between ours which is full of weeds, bindweed being the most prolific, as we have reed screening, guess who has to clear it grrrrr. so i clear a foot and a half in width and about 30ft in length all through spring/summer. I could scream as its there land :evil:
I've stipulated that It needs to be as close as is possible, so hopefully no real gap, but the concrete gravel boards will protect my side from the weeds.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Why would the neighbours not just want a shiny new fence ? I didn't ask a penny from mine when putting a new fence up. Can't see a benefit in keeping tatty small fence with screening with a taller fence behind :lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Looking at the pic again they have staggered screening so with new fence in front of small fence a good 2 to 3 foot of lost no mans land lol