Black bamboos leaves have all dried up

bordersboy

Black bamboos leaves have all dried up

Post by bordersboy »

So I had my bamboos all tied up to protect them from the cold winds through winter and to stop them setting off the security light.Theyre in pots and despite the rain seemed to dry up a bit. The leaves have shrivvled up somewhat as a result.

So am I right in thinking they will just be shed when the new leaves are ready to be forced out and Ive got nothing to worry about or should I be worrried ?
PaulPlants

Re: Black bamboos leaves have all dried up

Post by PaulPlants »

I should think so, but it depends how dry they got. Mine drink one hell of a lot of water... And of course, with ever plant there is a point of no return. That said, my Boo's shed plenty every year. Fingers crossed!
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Thanks,Just hoping the new leaves push through. Hope it not vine weevils.Founs some of them in a stawberry pot the other day.Never seen vine weevils before. icon_aaargh
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Never seen vine weevils or grubs on Bamboo - they prefer Strawberries, Fatsia etc. Leaves burn on Bamboo in pots more readily than those in the ground.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

The 5 clumps of Bamboos I have all have dried up leaves, as have many other evergreen I have, due to 3 months of heavy and persistent winds! One of the few things that haven't suffered are my Trachys, which I find truly unexpected. icon_thumright
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Cheers Blairs.Im feeling chilled out about it now. Squashed about 80 of these grubs the other day,little barstewards.
JJ my trachys werent touched by the winds either.Fully exposed to the wind and they look the best they have for the last 8 years too,weird.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

80 vine weevils in March? I have not seen (or more honest gone out to find) vine weevils since last summer. I have seen a few grubs in pots, Strawberry patch and inside some Begonia corms though. I did use Provado VW killer a few time last year. When it dries out again I will use it again.
bordersboy

Post by bordersboy »

Might be a bad year for bugs as we never had a proper freeze in winter.Mildest i can remember for 20 years at least