Musa Basjoo Unwrapped this weekend

Panama Pete

Musa Basjoo Unwrapped this weekend

Post by Panama Pete »

I decided to unwrap the Basjoo this weekend. The temperatures have been so good, I want to get a head start on the growth.

They are trying to uncurl leaves already. It hit a high of 23oc in the garden this weekend. If a hard frost is forecase I will lightly wrap in fleece, but the frosts have been very weak this year in my garden.
Attachments
banana unwrap.jpg
doncasterpalmguy123

Re: Musa Basjoo Unwrapped this weekend

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

They're looking good pete and what a great day to do it on. Unfortunatly were still gonna be getting some -2C temps up here :roll:
kata

Post by kata »

When we say unwrap does that include the brown skin?

icon_cheers
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

nope.....
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
kata

Post by kata »

Understood.... :lol: :lol:

Thanks Coddy!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

kata wrote:When we say unwrap does that include the brown skin?

icon_cheers

someone on here mentioned the benefit of them getting culled to the ground is they regrow that brand new green trunk, this can also be achieved by simply peeling the old brown skin of the saved p-stem :D
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Get them all out the wrappers chaps, spring is here icon_sunny
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Panama Pete wrote:Get them all out the wrappers chaps, spring is here icon_sunny

AMEN! icon_salut icon_salut icon_salut
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

I just received a shipment of a small basjoo, going to plant it this weekend. It's in its pot now, outside of course like Nature intended icon_thumleft

No chance of frost here.
sam140

Post by sam140 »

New paddles coming out on the basjoos now here in Cambridgeshire. They are up against a south west facing wall though. Spring has sprung :)
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Panama Pete wrote:Get them all out the wrappers chaps, spring is here
How much cold will they take? These are my overnight MINs for April / May, let alone the rest of March ...
MinTemps.gif
6 of last 9 sub-zero in the first half of April, 1 of 9 in the second half of April, and 1 of 9 very nearly touching zero in the middle of May :(
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

The lowest overnight low in the 14 day forecast for here is 5C, I'm sure they can take that icon_thumleft
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

sam140 wrote:New paddles coming out on the basjoos now here in Cambridgeshire. They are up against a south west facing wall though. Spring has sprung :)

I normally call them rollers, but paddles I like that LOL
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

otorongo wrote:The lowest overnight low in the 14 day forecast for here is 5C, I'm sure they can take that icon_thumleft
I have that view on things that just have some fleece chucked over them - Tree Ferns for example - but I have a cage full of straw around my Nanas because I want to protect the Pseudostem. If I uncover them and we get -4C for a couple of night is that going to stuff the pseudostems I wonder?

My thinking is that: the plants can push a new roller out of the top of the straw if they want to, and that can get frosted then the pseudostem will still be OK and the plant can push out another roller.
Last edited by Kristen on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Kristen wrote:
otorongo wrote:The lowest overnight low in the 14 day forecast for here is 5C, I'm sure they can take that icon_thumleft
In have that view on things that just have some fleece chucked over them - Tree Ferns for example - but I have a cage full of straw around my Nanas because I want to protect the Pseudostem. If I uncover them and we get -4C for a couple of night is that going to stuff the pseudostems I wonder?

My thinking is that: the plants can push a new roller out of the top of the straw if they want to, and that can get frosted then the pseudostem will still be OK and the plant can push out another roller.

I did this with my Musa last year when frost was still about , just took the fleece off top but kept cage and strawer in place, some rollers got frosted but p-stem intact :D