Musa Basjoo Unwrapped this weekend

Panama Pete

Re: Musa Basjoo Unwrapped this weekend

Post by Panama Pete »

Heres the front garden bananas, they are 7 - 8 foot already. I'm hoping to reach 12 - 14 ft by October. I had to unwrap them they were breaking out. icon_salut
Attachments
bananas front.jpg
kata

Post by kata »

someone on here mentioned the benefit of them getting culled to the ground is they regrow that brand new green trunk, this can also be achieved by simply peeling the old brown skin of the saved p-stem
Thanks Cordy!

Good luck to everyone!

Wow Pete, how old are those monsters? :lol:

icon_cheers
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

Wow!! They are so tall! I lost my large ones early last year. I have some small ones in the garden from last year and did not protect them. I have quite a few maurelli's that have to go out this year so am pushed for space as it is, so wasn't too bothered if I lost the musa. As it is they are still alive icon_cheers
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

I put them in in oct 2011 Kata, they were only 10 inches back then. Ive got 2 ton bags of rotted horse manure this year for the bananas. :ahhh!:

heres a pic back in Oct 2011, purchased and plonked in.

and heres the same in summer 2013
Attachments
when planted oct 2011
when planted oct 2011
heres the summer pics 2013
heres the summer pics 2013
PaulPlants

Post by PaulPlants »

At this rate I will have full leaves by the end of March icon_cheers
Attachments
image.jpg
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

look like they will be big, dramatic lighting.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Panama Pete wrote:Heres the front garden bananas, they are 7 - 8 foot already. I'm hoping to reach 12 - 14 ft by October. I had to unwrap them they were breaking out. icon_salut
Great height! what sort of cage setup do you do? three chicken wires ziptied?

I normally have 2 chicken wire depth then lop the pstem at that point, but I may go higher next winter.
kata

Post by kata »

Are we supposed to cut down the stem?

Thanks Cordy!!

I left mine as they were bought. One is a double (at this stage they look dead).

The other off Paul I believe but I left the height as we went winter...it looks green under the brown.

And can manure around the base be as good and before planting? Its not farmyard, more like compost but Wessex manure in a bag.

Thanks Pete!
icon_sunny
Attachments
march2014.jpg
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Kristen wrote:
otorongo wrote:The lowest overnight low in the 14 day forecast for here is 5C, I'm sure they can take that icon_thumleft
I have that view on things that just have some fleece chucked over them - Tree Ferns for example - but I have a cage full of straw around my Nanas because I want to protect the Pseudostem. If I uncover them and we get -4C for a couple of night is that going to stuff the pseudostems I wonder?

My thinking is that: the plants can push a new roller out of the top of the straw if they want to, and that can get frosted then the pseudostem will still be OK and the plant can push out another roller.
My thinking exactly.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

If the basjoo pstem can take -4C then I guess I'll hardly ever need to wrap mine, not in most winters anyway.

I'm going to plant my baby basjoo tomorrow, so excited icon_cheers
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

otorongo wrote:If the basjoo pstem can take -4C then I guess I'll hardly ever need to wrap mine, not in most winters anyway.

I'm going to plant my baby basjoo tomorrow, so excited icon_cheers
Musa basjoo don't require any protection in Portsmouth, the stems survive intact, even during 2010. So I would imagine they don't need protecting in central London either... icon_thumright
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

otorongo wrote:If the basjoo pstem can take -4C then I guess I'll hardly ever need to wrap mine, not in most winters anyway.
Although ... :)

-4C now is only for a few hours, and usually because of high pressure, including on the day following, so good sun and temperatures during the day.

-4C in winter would be no colder, but could persist for much of the day, and for all night, which would be more penetrating and the damage would (I assume?) be more lasting.

So might need to wrap against, say, -4C in winter but the plants could be happy with that same -4C in Spring.

Basjoo won't care. either way, so its only whether you want to protect the pseudo stems to have nice tall plants.

And if you are doing that you should be growing M. sikkimensis anyway, as the paddle-shaped leaves are far more attractive than Basjoo. Well ... In My Opinion that is!!
kata

Post by kata »

Just ordered a M. sikkimensis this morning,

:mrgreen:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

kata wrote:Are we supposed to cut down the stem?

Thanks Cordy!!

I left mine as they were bought. One is a double (at this stage they look dead).

The other off Paul I believe but I left the height as we went winter...it looks green under the brown.

And can manure around the base be as good and before planting? Its not farmyard, more like compost but Wessex manure in a bag.

Thanks Pete!
icon_sunny

I only cut the top off the stem Kata, basically what ever is sticking out too much from the top of my chicken wire cage, then drop a haxnix fleece bag over it all, then a bin bag for waterproofing. The couple of feet or so I lop off comes back very quickly.

Although I may try and get them through as tall as Petes next year if I can create a three high chicken wire cage. icon_thumleft
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

cordyman wrote:
Panama Pete wrote:Heres the front garden bananas, they are 7 - 8 foot already. I'm hoping to reach 12 - 14 ft by October. I had to unwrap them they were breaking out. icon_salut
Great height! what sort of cage setup do you do? three chicken wires ziptied?

I normally have 2 chicken wire depth then lop the pstem at that point, but I may go higher next winter.

Hi Cordy

I use garden canes with fleece tied round, fill with straw, plastic top and tape up. I leave a lot of play in the top for when the rollers are pushing.

Its personal choice if to unwrap, but Nottingham is normally not too much different than London in terms of weather. If a bad frost is forecast ill go out there and wrap a bit of fleece round them.

Ensettes however are staying in the house for now. icon_thumleft