Why are the leaves like this? Trachycarpus New Purchase

J4MES

Why are the leaves like this? Trachycarpus New Purchase

Post by J4MES »

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently redesigning my garden and thought I would start with the big structural plants so to add to the 10 ft Trachycarpus I already have I thought I would invest in another medium sized one to balance out the border. I manged to pick up a 7ft example (including pot) for £175 which I think is a bargain!

Anyways as you can see by the picture below the leaves are totally different from the larger one I purchased last year, it almost looks like a completely different species!? The leaves are stiffer, larger and more upright, it's also a darker green! I couldn't view the palm before I purchased as I ordered it from a friend as a favour from a wholesaler so I probably wouldn't have chosen a variant like this as would prefer the palms to be a "matching" pair or as close as.

My question is will the leaves change over time? I guess the environment they are planted in has something to do with how they develop, maybe they will blend more as they grow? The larger one has also been affected by the hurricane strenght winds we had this year so many of the fonds are broken whilst the new one is almost perfect.

Apologies for the night time picture! Had it delivered this evening so the only one I've got atm.
Attachments
photo1.JPG
Last edited by J4MES on Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
fern Rob

Re: Why are the leaves like this? Trachycarpus New Purchase

Post by fern Rob »

What a good buy. Is the other possibly Trachycarpus W? need a better picture.
J4MES

Post by J4MES »

Some daytime pics so you can see the difference more clearly, i think it's really noticable, the new one was labled as Trachycarpus Fortunei?

It makes the other palm look sick, the leaves are almost yellow in comparison! :shock:
Attachments
PALM2.jpeg
PALM3.jpeg
PALM4.jpeg
multim

Post by multim »

Plant it. Give it 5 years or so and they will look similar, apart from the height. The new one has had most of the lower leaves removed and has been fed or grown in a richer medium.
I planted one, three years ago and it has doubled in size and girth.
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

I think your original is just how they get after a uk winter "Wind swept and interesting" your new one has just been somewhere more sheltered and possibly warmer
Doc86

Post by Doc86 »

The new one looks like it hasn't had as much exposure to the elements as your other one.

Mine got a kicking in that wind the other week and looks pretty sorry for its self at the mo, but my neighbour has a larger one planted probably 200 yards away and it looks immaculate. I'm guessing he has better wind cover.
kata

Post by kata »

Mine gets yellow depends on how cold I think,

Its cool in summer, cold and wet in winter. Last summer was'nt normal with all the sun we had, at least not normal for Lancashire.

:lol: I remember year 2012 buying a water feature (solar) and sending it back due to lack of sun... :lol:
J4MES

Post by J4MES »

Thanks, so you think it will "blend" in time? I was thinking of going in search of a replacement to match the original one but won't if it will change over time. I guess it could have been grown in a greenhouse etc which could explain it.

The reason I'm dubious Is that the fonds are actually a lot stiffer compared to even the newer growth on the older Trachycarpus and it's much darker green colour. I guess there is always going to be a slight variation in plants but in real life they do look totally different.

With the larger Trachycarpus that was planted last year the leaves are quite yellow, the new shoots are also a very light green, is this because it's in full sun all day? Should I be feeding it?

Thanks
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

they are variable regarding leaf stiffness, so that probably wont change. its green because its been fed, your yellow one should green up given some feed. Mine do
kata

Post by kata »

F.F. what do you feed yours and when?

Thanks!

icon_cheers
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

The new one may only just have been dug, in which case it will soon look like the other, however in 3 or 4 years once established you wont be able to tell them apart, and neither should be yellow and sad by then, but fully expanded crowns and healthy.
sam140

Post by sam140 »

Its normal pot grown specimens can be yellow. Will be dark green after a couple of years in the ground :)
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

You should also remember Trachys are a very variable palm anyway. icon_thumright
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I've noticed some of mine which have been planted a number of years now differ, but this can be down to fortune/waggy mix of the seed I think ?

Some are definitely stiffer, different colouration, and leaf size differs a lot, the shaded ones having huge leaves.
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

kata wrote:F.F. what do you feed yours and when?

Thanks!

icon_cheers
Just a bit of chicken poo if they go yellow, nothing scientific