paulownia, what to do.

Delboy

paulownia, what to do.

Post by Delboy »

My paulownia from Big plant nursery arrived yesterday. It was much taller than expected, at around 4'.
It has 2 buds about 18" up the stem and the 2 more at the top.
Do I leave it alone or cut it back? I want the big leaves and not a tree.
Delboy

Re: paulownia, what to do.

Post by Delboy »

Its single stem btw.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I let mine grow a year, to get established, before cutting it back. That was probably a year earlier than the advice I got, but in fact it then rocked away, so perhaps water etc. well this year to make sure it is well rooted & established and then expect it to do a 10' pole with large leaves from stooling next winter.

Be interested to hear what other folk think though.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

mine went from seedling to 12 ft pole in one season so idk if I should go ahead and cut it back or leave it alone and do it next year
callin

Post by callin »

If it was mine, for big leaf appearance, I would keep only one bud and remove all the other ones. icon_thumleft
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

callin wrote:If it was mine, for big leaf appearance, I would keep only one bud and remove all the other ones
Even on a one year old plant? Just-planted plant?
callin

Post by callin »

Yes, Kristen, even on a one year old.
It s recomanded to cut the trunk almost to the ground after 6 months from planting.
A healthy paulownia cut in this way will grow faster and stronger then an uncut one , I can tell you this from my own experience with this plant. They completely cure the cut in only one growing season, you will hardly notice it. I have start to grow them from seeds in 2010, when I have discovered a big flowering Paulownia three right in front of my appartment building.
It is said that they like better the city environment with more protection from the elements, because of the protection offered by tall buildings and warmer then in the country side.
If they are watered properly will amaze :ahhh!: anyone with their growth rate, with the condition to keep only one bud. If you let it grow naturally multibranched like a bush you will not notice nothing spectacular concerning big leaf and hight.
Good luck with them and warm sunny weather icon_sunny icon_sunny icon_cheers icon_cheers
Last edited by callin on Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

callin wrote: It s recomanded to cut the trunk almost to the groung after 6 months from planting.
Very interesting, thanks for that, and I can see that the first cut mid-summer, for the plant to then create new growth from, could set it up well for being stooled, properly, the following Spring.
They completely cure the cut in only one growing season, you will hardly notice it.
I've noticed that, only plant I have which I stool where you cannot see a big "knuckle" at the site of last year's cut. Mine has completely healed and you can't easily make out where the cut was.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Thanks for the replies icon_salut
So do i leave it be this year then? its got a good root system in a 5ltr pot so should establish well.
callin

Post by callin »

Delboy,
I would plant it imediately in the ground. They can be moved after the leaf drop and before start to grow actively.
For me the potted specimen underperformed greately, very small leafes and not much growth.
It should be planted in the sunnyest place in the garden. Planted in the thick shadow will look very leggy, poor and eventualy die.

icon_cheers
callin

Post by callin »

Delboy wrote: So do i leave it be this year then?
In my oppinion you should plant it in and cut it mercieless icon_rambo to 10 centimeters above the ground level.
If the buds that it has are very strong ...then keep the strongest and cut everything above the bud, it will become a lider and straighten itself.
Mine paulownias in Romanian climate start to enter in vegetation late in the spring, after all the local trees have already pretty big leafes. icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

The lowest buds it has are about 18" high, do I cut just above these?
As If I chopped it at 10 cm there would be no buds left?

Sorry never had one before so don't want to mess it up.
callin

Post by callin »

18 inch means around 50 centimeters , soo the mentioned bud is big.
you should cut the trunk one centimeter(or so) right above the insertion of the bud on the trunk.
Delboy, you did not mention ..your paulownia have leaves on it or is just stiks?
Anyway, if you decide to cut it to 10 cm from the ground, do not worry, plenty of new buds will appear on the small stump or even they will grow from the roots very near to the little stump, eather way you shoul remove the unwanted buds and keep the strongest. if you plat it in well drained soil and in full sun the new bud will have 3-4 metres till september. Also they like some nitrogen fertiliser, feed them like you feed bannanas.
Here they grow like Jacks beans with full speed from May to August, if you pay a little attention u ll see them grow daily. icon_cheers
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

no expert at these at all but going on general plant growing ideas I would plant it, cut just above the lowest buds, let it grow this year and then cut it back next year for stooling.

imho.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Cheers chaps, gonna plant it ASAP and cut above the first set of buds. They are much bigger buds than the top 2.