Any good garden centre in North London area?

samtobuk

Any good garden centre in North London area?

Post by samtobuk »

Am heading down to Cheshunt on Sunday to dig out these two large Trachys that I have found, and so am taking a van with me. Just wondering if there are any good garden centres down there worth checking out while I have loads of space to bring stuff back.

Paramount plants is very close by so may well have a look there, although most of their stock seems to be large and pricey so doubt I'll find anything of interest.

Will be coming back around M25 and onto M40 back up past Oxford, so any recommendations on that route would be great (doesn't have to be exotics nureries, just anywhere interesting/large!).

Cheers
Steph

Re: Any good garden centre in North London area?

Post by Steph »

For bargains and its huge.

Crews Hill Gardeners Club - EN2 9BQ

http://www.thegardeningclub.co.uk/

You can never be quite sure what there will be, occasionally you'll get a rarity but always bargains... too many unresisted bargains in my case.
phatplants

Post by phatplants »

Crews Hill definitely mate, going myself on Monday :) don't forget to check out the old Ausferns nursery, just past Gardening club, going up hill on right. If you remember to check out the name of the nursery while you're there I'd be most grateful!!!! They are very reasonable, with plenty of little treasures. Hoping to pick up one of their larger Gunnera Manicata, amongst a few other bits!!
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

Thanks both, looks like Crew Hill will be a definite stopping point!

Phat - are you sure that Paramount and Ausferns are not one in the same, given that Paramount is also just past Crew, up the hill, on the right?? icon_geek
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

Or are you talking this place, just a bit further up the road (courtesy of google streetview!)
Attachments
Browns.JPG
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

Either way, that is one hell of a road for nurseries!! :shock: Not sure I've ever seen so many one after the other!

I may be needing a bigger van. :lol:
phatplants

Post by phatplants »

If driving from the direction of the train station, paramount is on the left, Gardeners club is a bit further up the hill on the right. Old Ausferns is a little further still on the right. Hope that helps!!!
phatplants

Post by phatplants »

Just checked on Google street view, and found it! It's called Hillside Nursery!!!
phatplants

Post by phatplants »

Silktree nurseries in Oxford would be a good visit, but I don't think they are open on Sunday's.
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

Right, okay ....... both ways are uphill from the Gardening Club by the looks of it! :lol: Saw Hillside on the map too.

Great, so I'll head for there as well once I've done the other two and see what they have

Have contemplated Silktree, but yes it looks like they are only open midweek right now, so no sundays.
Steph

Post by Steph »

CHGC is something like 35 acres, most of us are satisfied & exhausted by the time we escape the place.
Maybe you are super human.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

If you are looking for a smaller well stocked (including exotics) north side but towards the middle of London, I used Rassells of Earls Court for many years before I moved too far away to frequent. I still hear how good they are. Bought my first Trachycarpus from there in 1985 for £17-50.
Leeleegogs

Post by Leeleegogs »

Also, there is a little-known place just past Gardening Club, same side of the road but up the hill a bit. Hillview or something?
They have carts with bedding in either side of the entrance. At the back, there is a large tropical tunnel. They have some fantastic stuff in there. It's a real gem of a place. Being a Cheshunt resident, I have used it for years. Best begonias in Crews Hill! Have fun!
Springy

Post by Springy »

phatplants wrote:Silktree nurseries in Oxford would be a good visit, but I don't think they are open on Sunday's.
I'd say don't waste your time with this one! From the odd times I've been there it's VERY expensive and they don't stock much. They sell stuff on eBay so that will give an idea on there prices.
Just my opinion of course! icon_thumright
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

Thanks guys. Yes, had noticed that Silktree looks tempting at first glance but based on their ebay and website they don't have that much in stock and can be a touch pricey.

I'll have more than my hands full getting around Gardening Club, Hillside and Paramount methinks! icon_rambo

Just need to decide what order to do them in ....... think I'll do Hillside first, then GC, the Paramount last ....... just hope I don't do the classic and buy something at one place only to find it cheaper up the road!! :?