best begonia?

Post Reply
Tom2006
Posts: 8091
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Location: East Yorkshire UK

best begonia?

Post by Tom2006 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:04 pm

I remember seeing previous threads on begonias. Can anyone recommend some good long flowering colourful ones please? ....shade tolerant best.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.


User avatar
Yorkshire Kris
Posts: 10150
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:59 am
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: best begonia?

Post by Yorkshire Kris » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:20 pm

I like the ones called Bonfire or similar. Masses of orange flowers all summer long.


User avatar
kata
Posts: 14589
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:03 pm

Re: best begonia?

Post by kata » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:28 pm

I had these all summer long,

Yellow
yellowbegonias.jpg
Red, both called cascading Begonias.
redbegonia.jpg
icon_cheers
http://flowersnpalms.com/floraandfaunauk/

Rain...nowt but rain...Welcome to Lancashire............ :lol: :lol: :lol:


harryc
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:40 pm
Location: west midlands

Re: best begonia?

Post by harryc » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:30 pm

Easily begonia luxurians no contest really.


User avatar
fern Rob
Posts: 4901
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:13 pm
Location: Nr Sheffield

Re: best begonia?

Post by fern Rob » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:42 pm

Really like the plant in hanging baskets but will not grow well for me.
Rob
( Tree Fern hunter )


User avatar
kata
Posts: 14589
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:03 pm

Re: best begonia?

Post by kata » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:50 am

Those were in pots Rob,

Hanging basket:

Buy one ready to make up at a DIY store...or..

Buy one empty basket

One green liner that needs trimming do not try a small liner or the compost falls out

Compost a good one is Wessex

Water retaining crystals for the blazing summer we will experience again. :lol:

Plants

Fuchias
Begoina trailers
Petunias
Any cascading/pendulum plants
A centerpiece plant.

http://flowersnpalms.com/floraandfaunauk/

Rain...nowt but rain...Welcome to Lancashire............ :lol: :lol: :lol:


User avatar
fern Rob
Posts: 4901
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:13 pm
Location: Nr Sheffield

Re: best begonia?

Post by fern Rob » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:52 pm

They sell them near by when the time is right absolutely full of floors with no gaps.
Rob
( Tree Fern hunter )


User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 19686
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Chalk, (Thames Estuary) Kent, England 51.5N 0.3E
Contact:

Re: best begonia?

Post by Dave Brown » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:06 pm

For flowers I have Begonia tuberhybrida, they flower all season until about -2C, and are semi drought tolerant. There are upright and trailing types :wink:

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 8&p=369155
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
_________________________________________________
Roll on summer.....
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk


User avatar
jcec1
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:10 am
Location: London - Zone1

Re: best begonia?

Post by jcec1 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:39 pm

Yorkshire Kris wrote:I like the ones called Bonfire or similar. Masses of orange flowers all summer long.
I second Bonfire, I bought them as plug plants a couple of years ago and they provided a great display all summer.
Attachments
Balcony-042.jpg


Tom2006
Posts: 8091
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Location: East Yorkshire UK

Re: best begonia?

Post by Tom2006 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:11 pm

Thanks everyone. Now where is the best place to buy the plugs please?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.


dorothy
Posts: 553
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:17 am
Location: Nottingham

Re: best begonia?

Post by dorothy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:39 pm

Thompson and Morgan is where I get mine from.In fact I just put an order in today. They have got some half price as well. I have ordered begonia non stop, 70 plug plants for £9.99 and Begonia x tuberhybrida 'Illumination Mixed'
Half-hardy Perennialx72 plug plants for £19.99. I had these last year for my baskets and the colours were amazing and they were full of flowers and lasted for ages. Well worth the money icon_thumleft


User avatar
stephenprudence
Posts: 9028
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: Heswall, Wirral

Re: best begonia?

Post by stephenprudence » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:44 pm

I had tuberhybridas, mine flowered until January, though I wouldn't recommend keeping them flowering that long as in doing so I have killed it... You are best cutting down foliage and flowers in mild winters like the one we just had
Heswall, Wirral, UK
USDA equivalent average temperature zone: 9a/RHS zone 3
AHS Heat Zone: 1
Last 5 winter minimums:
2007: -0.1C, 2008: -4.2C, 2009: -5.7C, 2010: -10.5 (record), 2011: -4.9C, 2012: -5.3, 2013: -4.5C (so far)


User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 19686
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Chalk, (Thames Estuary) Kent, England 51.5N 0.3E
Contact:

Re: best begonia?

Post by Dave Brown » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:02 pm

stephenprudence wrote:I had tuberhybridas, mine flowered until January, though I wouldn't recommend keeping them flowering that long as in doing so I have killed it... You are best cutting down foliage and flowers in mild winters like the one we just had
Just let them go dry, and they go dormant with the stems falling off :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
_________________________________________________
Roll on summer.....
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk


Tom2006
Posts: 8091
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Location: East Yorkshire UK

Re: best begonia?

Post by Tom2006 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:26 pm

dorothy wrote:Thompson and Morgan is where I get mine from.In fact I just put an order in today. They have got some half price as well. I have ordered begonia non stop, 70 plug plants for £9.99 and Begonia x tuberhybrida 'Illumination Mixed'
Half-hardy Perennialx72 plug plants for £19.99. I had these last year for my baskets and the colours were amazing and they were full of flowers and lasted for ages. Well worth the money icon_thumleft
Thanks I will take a look.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.


User avatar
stephenprudence
Posts: 9028
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: Heswall, Wirral

Re: best begonia?

Post by stephenprudence » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:29 pm

Dave Brown wrote:
stephenprudence wrote:I had tuberhybridas, mine flowered until January, though I wouldn't recommend keeping them flowering that long as in doing so I have killed it... You are best cutting down foliage and flowers in mild winters like the one we just had
Just let them go dry, and they go dormant with the stems falling off :wink:
Indeed, should have dug them up in November/December, however I left them in and they grew towards late January into early February - I think I must have over grown them, depleting them of their resources and they have withered and died (not having the appropriate resting period).
Heswall, Wirral, UK
USDA equivalent average temperature zone: 9a/RHS zone 3
AHS Heat Zone: 1
Last 5 winter minimums:
2007: -0.1C, 2008: -4.2C, 2009: -5.7C, 2010: -10.5 (record), 2011: -4.9C, 2012: -5.3, 2013: -4.5C (so far)


Post Reply