planting against a fence - how far?

otorongo

planting against a fence - how far?

Post by otorongo »

The border is around 4 feet deep and has an 8-9 ft fence behind it.

Where is it better to plant a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP and Musa basjoo - close to the fence or further away from it?

I don't want the plants to stick out of the border and onto the lawn with their leaves as that would shrink the garden. Planting them closer to the fence would make the garden appear larger, especially once they have outgrown the fence and their leaves spread over to the garden next door (the neighbours are renting and don't care and might even enjoy banana or Phoenix canariensis_CIDP leaves over their garden for free) - this would give me the benefit of having nice exotic specimens without them taking much space, so I could plant other things - colocasias etc. in front of them.

But before they do outgrow the fence, it may look weird... And the fence is / will be covered in vigorous climbers, which I don't want to smother the nana or Phoenix canariensis_CIDP.

On the other hand, planting very close to the fence may give them extra heat and frost protection.

How many inches from the fence would you plant them?
PaulPlants

Re: planting against a fence - how far?

Post by PaulPlants »

The Musa will be fine against the fence, but it will move itself closer to the front. If you are adamant about keeping it against the fence you will need to dig up and replant every few years.

I've seen Phoenix canariensis_CIDP up against fences and it doesn't actually look that bad... That said, bare in mind that if you get it to maturity the base will have a 2-3ft diameter give it some room!

Look forward to seeing the finished product!
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

I just stick things in anywhere. I had to chisel out loads of concrete from under my fences to be able to fit plants in
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

If you want your Canary Island Date palm to survive and be a permanent fixture, then don't plant it anywhere near the fence. I wish I hadn't but its to late now after 2 and half years and not worth moving. Even semi mature trees have a huge girth and spread of leaves. Have a look at this thread.

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 6&start=45
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Thanks everybody. It's 1.5 ft away from the fence (yes I've planted it), I'm still not convinced about moving it to the front. Enough space for a mature 3 ft diameter trunk. I'm worried it might become too big for the garden, but it won't cast too much shade as it's on the NE fence... The neighbours may not be happy though when it outgrows the fence and keeps the midday sun from reaching their sunroom / kitchen. So far they have been lax about my passifloras invading their garden, but Phoenix canariensis_CIDP is serious business.

I wonder how long it's going to take to outgrow the 9 ft fence, the summers are warm here with many 30C days from mid June to mid August. And of course our winters are mild enough to let them sail through.

If it's a matter of 5 years or more I'm not concerned, I will most likely not live in this house anymore anyway...