Today's acquisition ........

cordyman

Re: Today's acquisition ........

Post by cordyman »

Wow what an impact!!!

I think theres a way to ID if its a Fergesia the way the culms grow at root level, ie. no running culms in there which go some distance.
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

Thanks Blairs and Cordy - really pleased with it myself. Love getting a headstart by getting some mature specimens for immediate impact - call me impatient! :lol:

Pretty certain it is a Fargesia by the leaf formation and culm diameter, would just love to know which one! Will get plenty of sun where it is so will be interesting to see if the yellow culms pick up any red in the summer. 8)

No rain today in the end, so just been out to give it a good drenching again.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Great choice keeping it as one, looks brill icon_thumleft
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Great looking bamboo.

I wonder if it is Fargesia rufa?

I have one in my garden and it is a great performer. It isn't an upright bamboo, but doesn't flop either, rather it creates loads of volume up top and increases in volume.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

samtobuk wrote:Thanks Blairs and Cordy - really pleased with it myself. Love getting a headstart by getting some mature specimens for immediate impact - call me impatient! :lol:

Pretty certain it is a Fargesia by the leaf formation and culm diameter, would just love to know which one! Will get plenty of sun where it is so will be interesting to see if the yellow culms pick up any red in the summer. 8)

No rain today in the end, so just been out to give it a good drenching again.

There should be some new culms now, all my fergesias are poking through like crazy.

You'll know in a few years when a bamboo comes up in your kitchen :shock: :lol: :lol:
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

There are a few showing. Sadly a couple got 'topped' when I was clearing old sheaths and trying to access the old culms to thin it out, but sure there will be more.

As for being rufa ........ do yours have green and yellow culms Adam? And new culms coming up almost black? drunken_smilie1