Nicotiana Glauca

DiCasS

Nicotiana Glauca

Post by DiCasS »

Just wondered if anyone has grown this and is it invasive in the UK.

Thanks
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Andy Martin

Re: Nicotiana Glauca

Post by Andy Martin »

Dicass... I've tried many times to grow this species but it will not survive long term in my climate. It is a weed though in those Mediterranean climates with hot summers
Enjoying a baking on a Sicilian cliff top.
IMG_2940.JPG
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Thanks for the reply Andy.

I seen a blog from a guy in Norfolk, and strangely enough, he said more information could be seen here at Hardy Tropicals. I've just tried to find it but unfortunately the information is not here anymore, probably lost in cyberspace now.

Anyway, this person kept it for a couple of years after mild winters(blog was from 2005) but is generally a perenniel where he is. He mentioned nothing about being invasive, just about tidying it up as it got quite big.

I'd read it was invasive in some countries, and did wonder whether it was in the UK, especially considering the seeds germinated easily in cool conditions.

I'll plant out when they get to a decent size and keep fingers crossed for some mild Winters.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

It's interesting that some people in the UK try to grow plants that are considered weeds in other countries. These include N. glauca, Arundo donax and Ricinus.

Their weed status in the Mediterranean is not necessarily due to their invasiveness, but their look. But I guess they can look better when cultivated and looked after than when their wild stands. And of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and probably quite contextual. In southern Spain no one in their right mind would grow them (maybe with the exception of commercial ricinus cultivation for oil)... it would be analogous to someone in Greenland trying to grow dandelions in their exotic border, because they're so different to the boring mosses and lichens everybody else grows.