Ceroxylon

DiCasS

Ceroxylon

Post by DiCasS »

On another forum there was a thread about what had died this past Winter in the Beast from the East. Well, I mentioned my Ceroxylon had died. Thing is, on the thread I said it had been in the garage, but after posting realised I'd actually forgotten to add the fact that it had been outside until December, and after realising my mistake cursed and cussed and dragged it into the garage, absolutely convinced it was stone dead.

I couldn't bring myself to throw this poor palm away just yet and left it in a shady spot, throwing a little water over it when it looked a little dry. Anyway, today, could see a new leaf growing just below the level of the old leaf stalks. I couldn't believe it.

The reason why I'm so gobsmacked is because whilst it was outside in December, the plant had endured a -11 and had probably 9" of snow covering the top of the pot when I bought it into the garage :shock:

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
GREVILLE

Re: Ceroxylon

Post by GREVILLE »

I suspect the growing point of the palm was under the snow cover and your minus eleven was above the snow. I'm sure the insulating power of lying snow saved the palm from extinction. So glad for your gobsmacking recovery icon_cheers

I'm hoping for a similar recovery from a 'beast from the east' spear pull on a similar palm (type and hardiness level) Parajubaea macrocarpa. Unfortunately mine was not under snow but in what I thought was a late February- March frost free shed. As I was 2000 miles away at the time I couldn't take appropriate action.

(Off topic, but I'm sure you sent a post to my Trachycarpus Firsts thread. It has now disappeared icon_scratch . I'm hoping it will come back just like your Ceroxylon - trying to keep this on topic :DD Perhaps this should go on a pm but this ought to be made public in case there are other glitches to deal with on HTUK. Lost another post from yesterday evening as well.)
DiCasS

Re: Ceroxylon

Post by DiCasS »

I think you are right, that is the only explanation I could think of as to why it has survived. I had it from a one leaf seedling a few years ago now and I know realistically I would not have tried it again if I had lost it. It was a gift from someone I used to keep in contact with a few years ago, so it's a palm I would have been upset to have lost.

Fingers crossed for your Parajubaea, hopefully you'll be as lucky as me and it will come good for you. Luckily, a cocoides here had a Life of Riley this Winter as it was tucked up in my warm greenhouse, some less important things to me had to just brave it out and was left to get on with it in a not so cosy position.

Your right Greville, I did post on your thread, but I remember looking over it and changing it a few times and thinking it didn't read right, so eventually deleted it, intending to come back to it, but forgot. Sorry about that. There were thankfully no glitches.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.