List of reccomended online suppliers/nurseries?

Johnlenham

Post by Johnlenham »

hey all,

Im aware that a lot of the forum got nuked recently, so a lot of info was lost.

Ive been looking about for any info on suppliers and nurseries that people would recommend for online ordering?

Theres only a couple of nurseries near me and Dessert to Jungle in Taunton is about a 50min drive from me In Bristol
so ive yet to visit.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Barracott seems to have a lot of interesting plants that are hardy tropical and have had good feedback on the HTUK Facebook site.
tatter

Post by tatter »

Hardy palms is in Bristol I have only dealt with them by mail order and always great plants.Nursey open to visitors by appointment ring Nigel (10 percent off for HTUK members)
Dessert to Jungle well worth a visit I was there earlier this year(2 1/2 hrs drive for me)
Seagraves in Leicester do mail order .
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Definitely Nigel at Hardy palms.

Personal favourite of mine for Trachycarpus and waggies is http://www.thepalmhouse.co.uk

Bought a very nice tree fern from Seagraves online a few years back.

This year I've had lots of poor plants via online orders. Most from private sellers but also surprisingly from Desert to Jungle who had advertised plants in pots of a certain size and blatantly bunged tiny plants into them just prior to sale. Happened to a friend of mine at the same time so not a one off. They are a good company though so maybe we were just unlucky.

Bali Hai for hostas and agapanthus but expensive.

Probably better to ask here first if you're looking at s particular company and people will help
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
chainsaw kid

Post by chainsaw kid »

As has already been stated Hardy Palms takes some beating and Nigel is very helpful. icon_cheers But for a more varied selection of unusual plants Pan Global Plants a couple of miles up the M5 is also a joy to behold. icon_thumright
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

chainsaw kid wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:07 am But for a more varied selection of unusual plants Pan Global Plants a couple of miles up the M5 is also a joy to behold.
Panglobal has excellent plants and variety. I object to the not knowing the price until you order though unless Nick has changed things.
Johnlenham

Post by Johnlenham »

Blairs wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:41 pm Pan Global Plants
Ahhh that explains it. there was no prices on anything so it put me off totally as I could be picking up a £50 thing lol
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Urban jungle are very good and turn it tropical.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Johnlenham wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:31 pm Ahhh that explains it. there was no prices on anything so it put me off totally as I could be picking up a £50 thing lol
One of the plants that I picked was £90 when he replied...so I did not bother.
tatter

Post by tatter »

i would also had Tropical Britain (mail order only) every time(3 times) I have ordered a 3 litre agave from them they have always been bursting there pots and full of roots. Could also try Big Plant nursery although I only used them once but plant was fine. icon_thumleft
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

I would definitely second The Palm House. Got an order from there last week (after the delivery company messed about with the original parcel, first assuring George that it was fine and would be delivered on schedule, then saying it was damaged, then saying it was lost! Throughout it all George was very proactive and dealt with the entire thing very professionally). Really lovely plants, grown entirely in the UK from what I understand. Beautiful waggy. And an exquisite T. princeps. I will definitely be ordering from him again.

Order from Hardy Palms set to arrive this week. I have no doubt these plants will be good ones too.

If you get a chance, go to Pan Global. A real treasure trove! Filled my car last year with a visit there. Amazing variety & really well grown, too.
Johnlenham

Post by Johnlenham »

I went to this place last weekend as I was down in Kent visiting my family and found it by accident when looking up Manihots. I came away with 4 or 5 plants and could have got twice that had I had the space in the car, probably the nicest and most reasonably priced one ive been to so far!

http://www.plantbase.co.uk/

Apparently they were at the rare plants fair back in June but yeah will def visit again next time im down.