Butia Capitata - dead, dying or alive?

JonC

Post by JonC »

Hello,

I have a Butia Capitata that I've had since April and I am a little concerned about its health. Whilst the leaves it has are blue green in colour and the structure seems firm there is no new growth to see. I would have thought that in this weather and with twice weekly watering that there would be lots of new growth.

Rather worryingly the youngest growth (not quite a leaf, but more grass like) suffered from spear pull and was brownish in colour. I think this was due to lack of water in May.

Any thoughts? Should I be concerned, water more, water less?

I'd post a picture later today, but I don't think it will convey much extra information. It could be I have to be more patient. If you have one of these I'd be interested to know how much new growth you've seen this year.
tatter

Post by tatter »

im no expert on Butia`s but it could just be sulking from the move as it was only April this year others more experienced may have better suggestions/ideas icon_scratch
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

Its hard to over water a Butia so if its in the ground I would give a soaking more often, and I am with Jim - Its probably sulking!
JonC

Post by JonC »

Okay, that's helpful. I'll stick to increasing watering frequency.
GREVILLEAJ

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Until the last few years I always started my Butia into early growth with warm water from April. Compared with standard cold water from the hose, I always fared better with an early start and more leaves. Perhaps this might help kick start yours.
JonC

Post by JonC »

There's been no such thing as cold water here for months. It's coming out of the tap at 25 deg C :-)
chainsaw kid

Post by chainsaw kid »

I'm with the rest the lads. I water mine every day in this weather. Fortunately it is supposed to rain here tomorrow. icon_cheers
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
chainsaw kid

Post by chainsaw kid »

I'm with the rest the lads. I water mine every day in this weather. Fortunately it is supposed to rain here tomorrow. icon_cheers
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.