Schefflera taiwaniana

Arlon Tishmarsh

Schefflera taiwaniana

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Schefflera taiwaniana.

Some pics (and short vid) of the parent plant that i've been propagating. Also some pics of two i detached and potted up earlier today and some shots of last years propagations that were planted out earlier this year ...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/5Q1JAm8HVdg

IMAG0101.jpg
IMAG0097.jpg
Attachments
IMAG0098_BURST002_COVER.jpg
IMAG0134.jpg
IMAG0135.jpg
Last edited by Arlon Tishmarsh on Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Schefflera taiwaniana

Last years planted out..............
Attachments
IMAG0133.jpg
IMAG0129.jpg
IMAG0130.jpg
IMAG0132.jpg
IMAG0131.jpg
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Schefflera taiwaniana

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Some quality propagation going on there. Hardy umbrella plants should be grown more often. There's some huge examples now.
chainsaw kid

Schefflera taiwaniana

Post by chainsaw kid »

Nice Schefflera Arlon, seeing that it reminds me that it is imperative to get the right variety, I went to Crug some years ago when I was younger and less experienced. :roll: I was seduced by the nice maroon stems of Hoi, and bought one. What they didn't tell me was it wasn't hardy, I struggled with it for years as I am not one to give up lightly, However a couple of years ago I dug it up and planted a bottle brush bush for some colour in that part of the garden. :lol: Looks like Taiwaniana would have been the way to go. icon_thumright
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Schefflera taiwaniana

Hi Jas
i have four variants planted out in various numbers that all cope with winter unprotected, Taiwaniana, Alpina, Delavayi and Rhododendrifolia. I would think with your coastal location any of those would be worth a try
Arlon Tishmarsh

Schefflera taiwaniana

Yorkshire Kris wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:48 pm Hardy umbrella plants should be grown more often
Couldn't agree more Kris. Wouldn't be with out my scheffies.
chainsaw kid

Schefflera taiwaniana

Post by chainsaw kid »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:46 am i have four variants planted out in various numbers that all cope with winter unprotected, Taiwaniana, Alpina, Delavayi and Rhododendrifolia. I would think with your coastal location any of those would be worth a try
So which one is your personal favourite Arlon. icon_thumright

The Kid.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Schefflera taiwaniana

chainsaw kid wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:56 pm Arlon Tishmarsh wrote: ↑Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:46 am
i have four variants planted out in various numbers that all cope with winter unprotected, Taiwaniana, Alpina, Delavayi and Rhododendrifolia. I would think with your coastal location any of those would be worth a try
So which one is your personal favourite Arlon.
Ooooh , a bit like asking which is your favourite child......lol.

i would think it would have to be a toss up between Taiwaniana and Rhododendrifolia but then you see the others in their setting and they're just as architectural
GREVILLEAJ

Schefflera taiwaniana

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

I wish.....I want.......I can't. I have no more space :(
DiCasS

Schefflera taiwaniana

Post by DiCasS »

Great propogation. I've tried and failed with rhododendrofolia, with a different method, and think I will try yours next year. The plant I have needs thinning out as I've lost the growing point many times since I've had it and now looks overcrowded.

How long did it take to form roots? I'm guessing the right time to try would be when the weather starts to warm up next year ???

I've bought my first delavayi plus another taiwaniana this Spring from Barracotts, they were only small plants but have grown really well and only roughly £25 each. I'm loving the delavayi and hoping this will be hardy for me 'when' I plant it out lol.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Schefflera taiwaniana

Hi Di,
i start them late spring / early summer and they take about four months. I've not tried a rhodi yet but will if the chance comes up. I've got an Alpina stem air layering but i think it'll run out of time for this year.
Give the Delavayi a lot of room, it likes to spread itself. Was looking at mine earlier and just a leaf set is about 20" or more across ( thats approx 450mm in mph for metric people..... :D )
DiCasS

Schefflera taiwaniana

Post by DiCasS »

Thanks Arlon. If I'm successful I'll try it further up the garden where it's definitely a couple of degrees warmer than where I have it now.

The delavayi I was surprised about. I mentioned it on this sister site and think I said it was about 3ft wide but looking at it closer it was more like 4 1/2 ft. already. I'm a little bit impressed with it at the moment :)

Fingers crossed for your Alpina too. The 'how to' video was a great help. Always best to see it being done.

On another note, would you get away with macrophylla planted out where you are?

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Schefflera taiwaniana

DiCasS wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:16 pm On another note, would you get away with macrophylla planted out where you are?

Di
Mmmm, possibly but i've read conflicting stories on "Mac" . I seem to remember Crug saying theirs did -11c but then everyone i know who has it have lost theirs at far lower temps. My gut feeling is its nowhere near as hardy as Taiwaniana etc and is probs best in a pot and brought in.
karl66

Schefflera taiwaniana

Post by karl66 »

Nice specimens, Roddenfolia does very well here & growing into nice size specimen's now...very expensive to buy at retail nurseries though.
chainsaw kid

Schefflera taiwaniana

Post by chainsaw kid »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:19 am . I seem to remember Crug saying theirs did -11c
From my previous experience ,I wouldn't believe anything Crug says. They seem to be slightly optimistic, :roll: icon_thumright

The Kid.