suggestions for a patio at the Costa Blanca ?

eddie

Post by eddie »

Happy 2019 everybody!

My father in law moved to another house in Spain, near Orihuela. His house has a patio, so everything has to be in pots.
I believe there are no frosts. He's not much of a gardner, so I'm looking for easy plants to cheer up the place.

Any suggestions? Is a bougainvillea easy to grow in a pot? It's quite a big place, I thought I'd put in a Ensete Maurellii in a corner. It's desert-like dry where he lives, with plenty of sun in winter.

Cheers,
Eddie
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
GREVILLEAJ

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Hi Eddie. This might seem an odd question but If you are providing the plants yourself are you intending to purchase locally or would you ferry them to Spain in a vehicle having chosen from a selection where you live?
eddie

Post by eddie »

I'll buy local since it's a very long way by car and we're travelling by plane. There are a lot of garden centers in the area.
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
GREVILLEAJ

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Buying locally is much better. Greenhouse grown plants from your part of the world, good as they are, would not take kindly to the often hostile climate of the Costa Blanca.

Viveros nurseries which I have here on the Canaries are very good. There are serve the Orihuela area among plenty of others. They should do wide range of succulents. Tough foliage plants like plumeria would do well in containers.

Bougainvillea would be a star choice. In the hot climate but ensete maurellii may lose a lot of its red colour in the heat