Community initiatives

themes

Community initiatives

Post by themes »

Nice when the community chips in to better the area. This is Where I live in Moseley Birmingham. This roundabout is close to my house and close to warwickshire cricket ground. This initiative to improve the area...which is nominated this year for Britain in Bloom. All voluntary work, although small in context to the overall schemes of things is nice to see.
IMG_1219.jpg
They have added more tropical plants since this image was taken. Would be nice if the council followed the lead of volunteers and make plant corners in the city
Petefree

Re: Community initiatives

Post by Petefree »

Ooh - I remember that roundabout - but not looking like that. I agree it's a great idea - let's hope we see more of it!
Pete
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Looks good Mo, and it would certainly be great if local authorities would show a bit more imagination in planting out little oases of tropicals.

Maybe they would end up in someones car boot at midnight though...
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Recently the council around here planted a line of Trachycarpus alongside a new housing development on the pavement, about time but the boats still tied up to the post but then this is Wirral, the conservation captial of the UK!

I do think councils further north should consider some exotic plantings in the streetscene I feel that roundabout is a start and hopefully more planting like this will occur.

I think one of the aims of DEFRA and other environmental policy makers is for the inclusion of more exotic plantings in light of climate change in the future.
themes

Post by themes »

The local community needs to be driving this. My community forum is constantly fund raising through market stalls drives etc..then using the proceeds to fund planting like this with tropicals. They have also funded planting areas, which have been vandalised twice, however on both occasions they have replanted. This is the drive I am talking about. I Know the council has other obligations to meet, however It should not ultimately comes down to committed people willing to do that little bit extra