pronunciation

grub

pronunciation

Post by grub »

how about a thread on pronunciation then. if we all agree on how to pronounce a name, we can argue the toss with pompous arses.BUTIA is it BOO-SHAR or BOO-TIA for example. any takers?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi grub. I thought the 'received' wisdom was Boo tia ? (boo-tee-aa) (In that everyone I speak to uses that pronunciation). I did think maybe But-ee-aa at one time. Never heard it called Boo-shar.
grub

Post by grub »

yup thats what i go for dave, so what about FORTUNEII: FORTUNE-EYE or FORTUNE-EE-EYE
Dave

Post by Dave »

FORTUNE-EE-EYE
turtile

Post by turtile »

grub wrote:yup thats what i go for dave, so what about FORTUNEII: FORTUNE-EYE or FORTUNE-EE-EYE
Fortune eye
Dave

Post by Dave »

FORTUNE-EE-EYE
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

I think we need some form of Wiki for this.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

lucienc wrote:I think we need some form of Wiki for this.
Better ask Aidan nicely I think :wink:
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

It's quite fun learning the proper pronunciation of plant latin names, even with how it's written there are rules to it. I remembered being tested on it in Uni many years ago. Still I don't get it right all the time.

I'll second FORTUNE-EE-EYE and BOO-TEE-AA but better wait for the Palm guys :)
Last edited by MarkD on Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sometimes there is no one 'proper' pronunciation it seems, like Fun-guy
or Fun-ji for fungi. Both used extensively by educated people. I wonder what the Romans would say?
Laury

Post by Laury »

I took latin at school and when I pronounced Pinus Nigra to a friend as pee-nus nee-gra, she was shocked and said it should be peye-nus neye-gra. :shock:
grub

Post by grub »

:lol: this is starting to look like it might be fun.
tetrapanax paprifer, anyone care to start us off.
Dave

Post by Dave »

She sounds 'posh' Laury.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Ooops! :oops: I didn't look properly at the names of those who replied, THE Palm guy has indeed replied :D
Don

Post by Don »

Gunnera manicata. carta/kata.
Chaemarops
-It goes on for ever and given that none of you lot know how to pronounce Slaithwaite then we do not stand a chance.