Alocasia cucullata

Palmer

Alocasia cucullata

Post by Palmer »

Is there anyone on here that has Alocasia cucullata from fir trees nursery, or Chen Yi in China? From the description by fir trees and the picture on the Chen Yi site, I don’t think its cucullata but I’m intrigued because chen yi say it can be found at 2000m, at that altitude I would of thought it would suffer some frost so could it be the hardiest Alocasia but yet incorrectly identified like the colocasia fallax that chen yi sell and turned out to be colocasia gaoligongensis.

Fir trees description

SN1-SS1 36” ALOCASIA CUCULLATA One of those tropical looking foliage plants that is fairly hardy. Large heart shaped long pointed leaves of glossy dark green on tall stems. From the mountains of China. Variable availability 6.95

Chen yi picture

http://home.no.net/aroids/i/a-165.jpg
MarkD

Re: Alocasia cucullata

Post by MarkD »

We have an Alocasia cuculata, however the leaves are certainly not large as stated on the description.

I'm not sure if the leaves are too similar with the one on the photo (which reminds me more of a Zanteschia leaf).

Anyway, I'll post a piccy as soon as I can. Apparently it is indeed the hardiest Alocasia but I don't want to trial ours outdoors. I've put it in the greenhouse last winter where it just remained static till spring, whereas another type of Alocasia croaked there (not warm enough). It has sent out more leaves during summer as well as gained an inch of trunk.
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Hi Mark, I was reading on an aroid forum the other day that Alocasia cucullata is a cultivated form of Alocasia odora, its grown as a food crop in many Asian countries and isn’t known to exist in the wild. icon_scratch
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

I have a cucullata also, and agree with Mark. The leaves on mine are not large, and are more heart shaped than the one in your photo.

I also kept it in a greenhouse last winter. It kept it's leaves Ok, but developed an area of rot about the size of a fifty pence piece at the top of the trunk, which I had to cut/gouge out.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

So is the Fir Tree and Chen Yi the same clone?

Here's ours:
DSCF5704.JPG
What do you think? Is it similar to the Fir Tree/Chen Yi or different?
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Mark I enquired a year ago about cucullata from fir trees but they were out of stock, they told me that they do get them from chen yi though, but they may have them now, but I have placed an order with chen yi for them amongst other things but they haven’t confirmed that they will be available yet.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

If it is confirmed are they going to deliver the plants to you first then send them fir tree, or vice versa? icon_bigsmurf
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Hi Gaz, I have placed an order with chen yi, its not via fir tree, I have wonted to buy from her for a long time so I though butter it I’ll give it a go but if it turns out very expensive it will be a one off :lol:
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

We had A. Cuculata which was planted out and left in the ground overwinter 2007/8. It died, disappeared completely.
Cathy.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Alocasia cucullata

This plant is one of the smaller growing types that we consider to be in the same group as Alocasia odora, based on inflorescence morphology and overall growth habit. We have crossed this plant with A. odora and A. gageana and the progeny are typical for crosses within this group. A. cucullata is known for throwing pseudoblooms, but it does produce regular inflorescences as well. It is also one of the few Alocasias that branches naturally, usually after a blooming cycle.

Compare the leaves on this plant with the A. odora "Indian" and you will see why I refer to the Indian Odora as a "giant cucullata".

The picture will not load for some reason??

The one in your picture is not what I would have said was Cucullata. I had one years ago and It did look like a small Odora.

Tony, Check Aishah ( exotic matahari ) on ebay as I think sha may have had it or still have it.
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Hi Mark, I couldn’t find (exotic matahari) on ebay but I found this and it does have a similar shaped leaf to the one on the chen yi pic. I have had the normal cucullata for 3 years or so along with odora and I would consider their hardiness or lack of it to be about the same, so it makes sense when you say they are closely related.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alocasia-Cucullat ... 240%3A1318
glynn

Post by glynn »

We took over Fir Tree in 2004 and have since then tried to obtain the said plant, A. cucullata from Chen Yi. As many will know plants from her can be mis-named more often than not! ( e.g. We ordered Geranium sinensis, several in the batch turned out to be G.refractoides and another type unknown to us)
Unfortunately we have not had Alocasia cucullata since, and due to technophobia have not taken it off the website. We are trying again this year and also from other sources....
Cheers,
Glynn :)
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Thanks for the info Glynn, icon_salut I don’t mind that she gets things wrong you could always end up with something interesting like Colocasia gaoligongensis icon_cheers lets hope she comes up trumps this year icon_thumright
Mark

Post by Mark »

Tony, I have just had a quick look on Aishahs ( exotic M)ebay shop and there is not much at all at the moment.

Here is a link to save for the future
http://stores.ebay.com/ExoticMatahari_W ... asstQQtZkm
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Saved, thanks Mark icon_thumleft